SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My picture of Jupiter is rubbish :(

Ainsley

I used my Orion Starshoot Solar System Colour Imager IV to video Juipter, then I processed it in Registax 6. But it turned out rubbish.

The view through the scope showed the banding quite clearly. But the view on the laptop when the camera was in place just showed a whiteish blob. Focused, but no banding. A bit like it was overexposed.

Juipter vs2 first process.bmp

Anyway, I recorded 600 frames, thinking the resolution of the laptop screen was poor, or that in Registax I could get it back to the image I saw through the eye piece. But no, it was still a white blob after messing about with Registax.

Should I be reducing the brightness using the camera software first ? My shots of the Moon turned out fine earlier on the same evening.

Moon vs1 first process.bmp

Any ideas about what Im doing wrong ?

Yep thats over exposed. You need to increase the shutter speed on your capture software. There also appears to be a alignment error in registax which has caused the ghost images. Was there a lot of image drifting during capture? Might be a good idea to download "castrator" which crops and centres the avi image making stacking and aligning much easier.

I had the GOTO working so it stayed on target pretty well, and I did 20 frames a second for 50 seconds to get 1000 images. I will have a go with Castrator next time. I will also try to speed up the shutter speed, which I assume means more frames per second ?

Ive looked again at my Registax data, and there does seem to be something funny going on with the alignment. I initially used Jupiters moons as well as the edge of Jupiter and set about 17 alignment points. But other than its moons and the edge of the planet, there is nothing else to use. I noticed it jumped about a lot, perhaps that was me walking about or a gust of wind ? I didnt get that with my moon shot, but I suppose the distance to Jupiter is so much more any tiny errors are magnified.

I will try again in Registax with the inital data Ive got, not that it will improve the raw data, but I may be able to stack images that are aligned. Then I will try to post up an image as a JPEG.

Cheers for the advice.

Right, Ive stuck it through Registax again - didnt make any difference. I reckon there was too much wobbling about when recording and I over exposed it too much.

Pants, but still, its Jupiter and some of its moons from my back garden.

post-21974-0-55171400-1347102827_thumb.j

I love that fact, back in the 60/70's when I looked at books about Space & Astronomy they didnt have pictures any better.

I will also try to speed up the shutter speed, which I assume means more frames per second ?

No the shutter speed is different to the frames per second. You probably shouldn't exceed 20fps (although don't let that stop you from trying) Most seem happy with 10-15 fps, but 20fps worked well for me.

There should be a separate setting for shutter speed maybe labeled exposure?. By lowering this value you should be able to correct the exposure to the point where it looks on the screen like it does through the eyepiece.

Ainsley,

I use AMCAP to control a neximage camera, similar set to what your using. You need to adjust your gain and shutter settings. If I image the moon and then move to Jupiter without adjusting settings, Jupiter would not show on my monitor at all. Keep the gain as low as you can while gradually increasing shutter speed. Its a balancing act. I would not image over 10fps and if your tracking well try 5fps for very low compression. You shouldnt be able to see the moons around Jupiter - if you can the detail will not be there because your imaging too much gain. I've realised that while regi 6 will improve an image it will not compensate for bad gain or shutter speed. For filter - try Neodymium filter - massive improvemnt to detail through eyepiece and cam.

see hows ya go.

• 2 months later...

Archived