Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

Moonshane

Super Newt on AB&S

great to see it going to a SGLer. I bet you'll love it!

just don't try to lift the mount and scope in one go!

It sounds fantastic...was tempted, even discussed it with husband, but boy, would that bad boy really need an observatory ;)

And not even a small observatory, at that.

James

I happen to have a 16" f/8 mirror set in the garage waiting to be reground. Now that's a monster.

I might have to shop it out though. Still working on my first mirror.

Mike

I'm pleased to this is scope is going to get re-homed.

Being such a huge monster and affordable I thought it might go to a club.

At the bargain price I was very very very tempted.

I worked out I would need two journeys to collect, but it isn't far away.

Then I realised that I would have to throw out all my other scope stuff to fit this into the shed.

Then I thought about building a 2nd roll off shed.

Then common sense prevailed! Already I don't have enough time to call my own (and clear nights) to play with my other toys.

I happen to have a 16" f/8 mirror set in the garage waiting to be reground. Now that's a monster.

Too right Mike, that is an eyepiece height of about 11' when its at the zenith? Will you mount it equatorially?

just wondering, how big is this mount, surely this would be worth the price alone, and also when the scope is balanced, how close does the primary get to the ground when at the zenith?

really looking forward to your first light report..... pleeeease.

Scott

The mount is 85lbs in weight (according to the Beacon Hill website) and has 1.5" shafts so not really portable. Because its driven I'm hoping I should be able to use higher magnifications than in an equivalent dob mounted scope as objects should stay centred. The seller said the eyepiece is about 9' off the ground when the scope is pointing at the zenith so I guess the primary would be only about a foot off the ground.

I'll post a first light report with photos of the scope as soon as I can, I'm itching to try it out!

• Like 1

Too right Mike, that is an eyepiece height of about 11' when its at the zenith? Will you mount it equatorially?

Oh yes - I built a low rider split ring to carry it.

Well after agreeing with Richard that I would buy the scope, call today to confirm it was still convenient, and pick it up on Saturday, I rang today and he told me he'd already sold it. I had offered to give him a deposit when we made the agreement last Sunday but he said don't worry theres no need for that.

unbelievable. I wonder if he had a better offer and sold his reputation for a few quid.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Definitely not the sort of thing you would expect.

I have now added AB&S User ID 1115 to my 'treat with caution' list.

Thats a poor way to treat an honest buyer - sorry it did not work out :sad:

Never mind. The whole experience has made me think about what I want and I am going to try and find a mount that is portable and can mount a big planetary newtonian equatorially.

Outrageous! Hope you gave him a earful.

TheThing

i looked at this thread originally because i couldnt believe what a monster scope could be had for so little money, however to learn that you have been gazumped really naffs me off mate and im sorry to hear you have been treated this way :mad:

It wasn't meant to be. Something better will come along.

TheThing