Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary Nebula Sh2-188 (Ha)

Shibby

Sharpless 188 is a really nice planetary nebula right in Cassiopeia, not too far from the Pacman Nebula. I was imaging the Pacman last night and, at the end of the night, decided to slew across and have a go at this interesting nebula when I noticed it was nearby.

It almost looks illuminated by the nearby star, but apparently it is in fact colliding with the interstellar medium, giving it this sort of asymmetric crescent shape.

I don't have quite enough data to present any larger here, it's not that small so I was surprised to find (or not find) that it hasn't been posted on SGL before. I think it deserves some more attention!

11x600s ISO-800

Canon 450D modded + Ha filter

SW 150PDS

Vixen GP

gallery_5051_1080_176669.jpg

Thanks all. I actually saw this on sky-map and thought "ooh, what's that little whisp". Eventually I figured it out with some creative googling :)

Are you aware of this site - http://www.sharpless.../sharpless.aspx

Some good information in there.

That looks like a great place to choose targets from, thanks!

Whereabouts in Cassiopea is it?

The bright star next to it is HIP 7251 - this should get you there in Stellarium.

Thats a nice capture Lewis. I'll have to check the fov for that object, looks like it might fit on a 285 chip nicely.

Yeah probably, I think it's a good 10' wide. Give it a go, I look forward to seeing a CCD version on SGL :)

Archived