Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dob mount altitude bearing material

dark star

I am very confused as to what material to use on the altitude bearings of the the dob mount I am making. Something called Ebony Star is recommended which does not exist in the UK!

Is there something that is readily available from somewhere like Homebase or B AND Q? Formica sheets?

! have bought some small round furniture sliders from Wickes, which will probably do for the base, instead of Teflon pads, which I also didn't know where to buy! But I still need something to put on the semicircular bearings.

David

Some thing you may find perfect for the job made by 3M called squeak reduction tape. Not used this my self yet only know about it from an article in last months Model Engineer Worksop mag, It was used as a bearing surface on a small cnc milling machine and to quote "has been hard wearing and stayed adhered".

Hope it's usefull you may get a sample from 3M if you ask and please let us know if it works. Bob

ps have some 3/8" approx square teflon going cheap if that would help ?

I used worktop edging strip for the alt bearings on mine. And I bought a small sheet of 3mm PTFE from that ebay from which I cut the strips that the alt bearings run on, and some pieces to support the outer edge of the base of the rocker box which rides on a 12" lazy susan bearing (also from that ebay).

James

Archived