SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil nebula

tommy_h

Hi

Here is my last big project:

A 6-part mosaic of the veil nebula

Made with a 5" f5 Skywatcher Newton, the ASA 0.73 Reducer-Corrector and a modified Canon 500D

4h exposure time for each part, total 24 hours. Combined with Theli

cirrus-2012_08_15.jpg

more details and higher resolution: http://www.distant-lights.at/cirrus-2012_08_15.htm

NGC 6992:

ngc6992-2012_08_12.jpg

http://www.distant-lights.at/ngc6992-2012_08_12.htm

NGC 6960:

ngc6960-2012_07_24neu.jpg

http://www.distant-lights.at/ngc6960-2012_07_24.htm

Hope you like it

Clear Skies

Thomas

Wonderful :)

That's my WIP project ATM but I'm not making much progress :( Had a couple of nights the seemed promising at first but on Tuesdasy night (I think it was) it started clear but soon the clouds came over. Then last night I persevered for 5 whole hours with guiding running well but too little in the subs and the result of stacking 3 dozen or so lights plus darks, flats and biases only produced something resembling one sub on a decent night :( I should have had an early night instead :D

I'm really tempted by that reducer too........ pricey though...

How do you get your collimation so perfect ?

I've got the bigger skywatcher newt but am having awful problems with focal plane tilt...... you've got your scope set up beautifully and it shows!

Cracking picture.

Hi

Thank you for your nice comments, I'm very glad that you like this images.

@ Gina: I dont'n know how many times I've set up my equipment for this pictures and after the first shots the stars disappeared behind clouds. Thats astrophotograpy

@laser_jock99: The ASA 2" Reducer-Corrector works very well, but does not correct the whole APS-C field of a DSLR. Either you cut the borders (~ 10%) or you can live with slightly deformed stars in the edges.

The second thing is that the corrector sets the focus point inward (~2 cm). I have turned the primary mirror inward with longer screws

@badgers:

How do you get your collimation so perfect ?

I don't know, but it took a long time until it was so. But even now it's not perfect, responsible is the focuser, mirror cell, ...

Thomas

Thanks for your comments.

@uranium 235: Of course the reducer will work. You will only need patience to try out the right distance Chip-Reducer (with my setup 61mm).

Maybe the 20mm is not enough, but there is the trick with the longer screws in the primary mirror cell.

Thomas

• 2 years later...

That ASA reducer certainly is interesting, seeing superb results like this makes me very tempted to get one. I think it might work with a 150P as im sure there is more than 20mm in-focus to play with, but i'd better check.

What are you waiting for :D 

Archived