Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

kids and scopes

sunshine185

Was out last night with my 11 year old daughter, armed with syEye on my phone and a red torch I sat in the garden chair and watched while she searched skEye for objects and then lined up the dob using the setting circles and wixey. She had a few misses but managed to locate plenty of objects on her own. by the time the moon was up, she was nudging the dob to keep it in the fov. Packed Her off to bed around midnight then stayed up for Jupiter but some mist rolled in and spoiled the viewing.

My 6 year old took an interest late last year, he could name all the planets and if you described them he could tell you which one was which.

So, I got him the 76mm Skywatcher, but unfortunately he would rather try and break it than look at the stars.

Earlier in the year, I bought myself a 120mm refractor, which I use when I can but one night the next door neighbours kid, same age as mine came round to look and was very interested.

I suppose there is still time as he is just comming up to 7 years old, don't want to push him, but would be nice to share this hobby with my son.

Archived