SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 4th Sept, excellent seeing 200p Auto Dob spc900

eyepod

Hi all, I nearly didn't bother last night as when i got up at 2am there was quite alot of thin high cloud but I'm soooooo glad i did......

Quite simply my best shots ever with the 8" dob and webcam... its taught me one thing i think, seeing is everything. its makes such a difference...

This was f24 using 2 x 2x barlows, 2200 frames with 550-900 stacked between the images, Larger one is 1.5x drizzle and that's Ganymede at the lower left.

These were my last two avi's taken at 4.50am, so i think the scope was nice and cool and i had the fan running a little to keep the air inside steady.

regards

Jason :cool:

post-14595-0-60884300-1346781902_thumb.p

post-14595-0-76794000-1346782107_thumb.p

post-14595-0-20386000-1346782135_thumb.p

post-14595-0-01508300-1346782230_thumb.p

Hi eyepod,

Well done, those are crackin images. You certainly have dedication to be up at that time. They look to be very well processed as well. I would be very pleased indeed to have gotten those shots

Not sure I can see the "mosaic patterns" neil refers to :huh:

Ian

Pretty damn spectacular images. Nice work! now I'm gutted I didn't go out this morning, though not for want of trying. I was up at 2am to see a completely overcast sky where I am. I've lost so much faith in the weather that even though the forecast said it would be clear I didn't have the confidence that the clouds would lift so went back to bed. Of course they disappeared by about 4am.

Another crack tomorrow morning for me I think.

Thanks everyone for your comments.... :biggrin:

Cracking shots Jason! Nice colour balance. Just think what you will get when Jup is much bigger! BTW do you use a OTA shroud?

Yes Stuart i use a shroud, always have. i find it helps keep dust of the mirror as well as keeping out the light..

Jason

Very nice Jason! F/24 seems about ideal for Jupiter. I have been faffing around with F/20 (too small, miss some detail) and F/30 (too big, hard to focus, harder to track, too few photons). I should be getting a 2.5x powermate this weekend, giving me the desired F/25, so maybe I can try to equal your efforts

Very nice Jason! F/24 seems about ideal for Jupiter. I have been faffing around with F/20 (too small, miss some detail) and F/30 (too big, hard to focus, harder to track, too few photons). I should be getting a 2.5x powermate this weekend, giving me the desired F/25, so maybe I can try to equal your efforts

Thanks, Yes i find f24 just right... even with good seeing f30 on my scope is just too much, the view goes down hill rapidly...I wish i knew this earlier in the year when i was imaging Saturn, i managed one decent shot at f30, but i think it would have been even better at f24. With Mars though imaging at f30 is fine with my scope :icon_confused:

regards

Jason

Archived