Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy T-shirt Design Competion

FLO

This is for Kate at the Norman Lockyer Observatory in Sidmouth. Kate has been printing T-shirts for NLO events and members for a while now but would like to take it to the next level. And we'd like your help please :smiley:

What astronomy or science slogan would you like to see on a T-shirt? It can be humorous, serious, thought-provoking or... Well, anything really. But please keep it clean and within SGL's CoC (no politics or religion please).

Simple text-based slogans are best. Basic designs or drawings are possible but not photos or anything complex or multi-colour please, at least not at this early stage.

The best suggestions will be heat-pressed onto T-shirts. If your suggestion is chosen Kate will happily send you a free T-shirt printed with the slogan.

FLO will market the T-shirts free of charge/commission because we think it is a great idea and want to see her succeed.

Let's have some fun with this :grin:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can take no credit for this but I remember a T shirt based on the Carlsberg ads:

"Heisenberg

Probably the best uncertainty principle in the world."

(Heisenberg was written so it looked the Carlsberg logo).

This is obviously too big for a T-shirt but I thought I would sher it anyway, as it made me laugh.

Ten commandments for amateur astronomers

1. Thou shalt have no white light before thee, behind thee, or to the side of thee whilst sharing the night sky with thy fellow stargazers.

2. Thou shalt not love thy telescope more than thy spouse or thy children; as much as, maybe, but not more.

3. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's telescope, unless it exceeds in aperture or electronics twice that of thy wildest dreams.

4. Thou shalt not read "Astronomy" or "Sky & Telescope" on company time, for thine employer makes it possible to continue thine astronomical hobby.

5. Thou shalt have at least two telescopes so as to keep thy spouse interested when the same accompanies thee under the night sky or on eclipse expeditions to strange lands where exotic wild animals doth roam freely.

6. Thou shalt not allow either thy sons or thy daughters to get married during the Holy Days of Starfest.

7. Thou shalt not reveal to thy spouse the true cost of thy telescope collection; only the individual components, and that shall be done with great infrequency.

8. Thou shalt not buy thy spouse any lenses, filters, dew shields, maps, charts, or any other necessities for Christmas, anniversaries, or birthdays unless thy spouse needs them for their own telescope.

9. Thou shalt not deceive thy spouse into thinking that ye are taking them for a romantic Saturday night drive when indeed thou art heading for a dark sky site.

10. Thou shalt not store thy telescope in thy living room, dining room, or bedroom, lest thou be sleeping with it full time.

I have a few ideas.

"It's a galaxy - honest" (with a picture of a galaxy as seen through a small scope)

"The hunter has become the hunted" (with an Astronomer looking for Orion)

"Sleeping? What's that?"

"Hail Bopp!" (With a soldier saluting)

"The Kuiper belt, holding up the trousers of the solar system"

"So, am I a planet or aren't I?" (with a picture of Pluto)

"Britain + Astronomy = clouds"

"I bought this scope and I intend to use it" (With a man outside with his telescope in the rain)

I'm sure I can think of more!

"Space is big. Astronomically big"

Also, just about anything by Carl Sagan is good value. I particularly like the one (can't remember how it goes exactly), about it being good to be open minded, but not so much that your brain runs out your ears .... There is an SGL'er (sorry can't remember whom) who has that in his sig. Possibly not astro enough though!

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

First time I came across that was about twenty-five years ago, as an example of how difficult it is to get computers to interpret natural language (and English in particular).

James

Archived