Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Dipper

Using 2" and 1.25" barlows together

I have a SkyWatcher Quattro telescope with 2" focuser (and also a 1.25" adaptor) and am looking for a barlow. With a short tube (800 f/4) I feel like I need more than a 2x barlow for imaging planets, but the problem is that 2" barlows aren't cheap.

I wonder, is it possible to use a 2" barlow AND a 1.25" barlow for photographic uses (say, two inch 2x barlow plus one and a quarter inch 2x barlow)? On the end of the second barlow I would screw a 1.25" -> T2 adaptor and then the DSLR. Technically it all makes sense but would there be any vignetting or some other optical issues? Here's an illustration of what I mean.

post-14764-0-29181600-1346575594_thumb.j

Oh come on, there must be people using 1.25" barlow with a T2 to attach DSLR to comment on that! :eek:

I don't think that vignetting will be a big problem since planets are relatively small targets.

I'm a bit more concerned about image degradation when stacking multiple barlows. You're introducing a couple of items (more optical surfaces, more possibilities for misalignment, ...).

If planets are your main interest, why not invest in something like a 5x powermate?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gib007
      THIS ITEM HAS NOW BEEN SOLD.
      This listing is for my personal LRGB filters (Kayron from Light Vortex Astronomy). They are the Astrodon E-Series Gen2 LRGB 1.25" set. These are considered the highest-end LRGB filters money can buy, able to produce exceptional quality, colour-balanced images when paired with a good monochrome camera. For more information, please see Astrodon's website:
      https://astrodon.com/products/astrodon-lrgb-gen2-e-series-tru-balance-filters/
      Please note that this filter set currently retails at just over £560 from UK suppliers, €660 from European suppliers or $540 from US suppliers. Payment is preferred via bank transfer but PayPal is OK with an extra 2.9% to cover PayPal fees. I'll cover postage to you via tracked Courier. 
      I welcome any questions you may have regarding this listing. Thank you for looking. 

• By Gib007
      THIS ITEM HAS NOW BEEN SOLD.
      This listing is for my personal narrowband filters (Kayron from Light Vortex Astronomy). They are the Astrodon Hydrogen-Alpha (HA), Oxygen-III (OIII) and Sulphur-II (SII) 3nm 1.25" narrowband set. These are considered the highest-end narrowband filters money can buy, able to produce images of exceptional quality and incredible sharpness, cutting through a vast amount of light pollution. The 3nm variants featured here are fantastic for pulling out fine nebulous structures clearly above background. For more information, please see Astrodon's website:
      https://astrodon.com/products/astrodon-narrowband-filters/
      Please note that these three filters together currently retail at just over £1,710 from UK suppliers, €2,180 from European suppliers or $1,690 from US suppliers. Payment is preferred via bank transfer but PayPal is OK with an extra 2.9% to cover PayPal fees. I'll cover postage to you via tracked Courier. 
      I welcome any questions you may have regarding this listing. Thank you for looking. 

• By Greg6498
      After receiving great advice from this group, I decided to purchase this TeleVue 2x Barlow! It's going on my Skywatcher Evostar Pro 80mm. I have an ES 6.7 eyepiece I want to use with it. Can’t wait to give it a go!

• By hennyvenom
      Hello everyone, I've got a question.
      I want to upgrade the visual back on the Mak 127. The standard back on the Mak is not pleasant to work with as seen in the image. I need to get rid of this plastic thing. I purchased a mak to sct adapter when I bought the scope, I never got around to doing anything until now as I've just acquired a Baader 2.25x barlow as shown in the image.
      Now, I've had a go of attaching the the Baader Barlow into the original plastic thing on the mak, it works .... but I'm not happy with the connection being made with the two locking screws, as there is still movement when the barlow, t-ring and Canon DSLR are all in the train.
      I've been having a look on FLO for some work around, does anyone have some input as to whether this will work.
      Mak to sct adapter-> Baader 2 inch to 1.25 reducer adapter->Baader 2.25x barlow + T ring & DSLR
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-to-125-reducer-adapter.html
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/BaaderT2ext-1508153.html
      Any input or a better way of securing everything is greatly appreciated!😊

Another option I've come across is this , Baader ClickLock 2"-1.25" Adapter  and Baader T2 Extension Tube to bring it to 40mm when attached to the mak to sct adapter. Anyone have any experience with this? 
    • By Fieldsy
      Hi
      Interested in getting a motorised filter wheel and was hoping someone has got a old 5 lens knocking about or have seen one advertised.
      Much appreciated
      Si

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.