Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My August Moon

allcart

Taken with my DSLR with a 400mm lens plus extenders. Total focal length was 1120mm. ISO 400 @ 1/100s.

The seeing wasn't perfect due to hazy cloud, so I cleaned it up a little in photoshop.

I took a series of shots intending to stack them with DSS to see if it would improve the final pic, but couldn't get it to stack the pics, so this is just a single shot.

C&C welcome.

795A3267copy

That's a very nice picture. If you want to stack moon images, Registax is perhaps the place to start rather than DSS. I can't get it to read large files though, so thus far I've ended up stacking the JPEGs.

James

Thanks James. I tried stacking a few images manually in photoshop, but could not get good enough alignment to make the image any better than this single pic. Will stacking several images like this one improve the detail?

It's not the end of the world if the image looks dark. You can always stretch the histogram a bit in processing. Overexposure generally can't be fixed though. I used 1/1000th sec @ ISO400 for the image here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/160940-my-first-lunar-image-4th-september/

I wonder if I shouldn't perhaps have stretched it a little more.

James

I would like to see it a touch brighter, but you have much more detail in yours, especially in the lower right hand quarter.

My pic seems too bright now when I look at yours.

Now I'll have to try to process mine slightly darker with increased detail and then see how they compare.

I'm not happy at all with the processing of mine. The more I look at it the less I like it. It's blown out in places and not bright enough in others. I shall redo it. I really meant it to illustrate to Matt that dark images aren't necessarily a major problem as long as you have enough data.

James

I've not got the length to shoot mosaics Mike. That pic of mine is the closest I can get unless I buy another tele extender, but with every extender I add, the image gets darker as the apperture closes down. What I really need is an 800mm lens.

Archived