Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ring Nebula - Yey

Memory Bliss

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one :smiley:. That's on my first list of Messiers which I'd hoped to have a go at last night but cloud was solid. As it's close to a formation I can recognise (Cassiopeia?) I thought it will be a good start. Oh well, it will still be there when the skies clear, then there's only 109 or so to go :grin:

Jason

I love the ring nebula! It's so clear and look's great with averted vision. I couldn't find it when there was near full moonlight a few days ago but looking at your sig you were using a much larger scope (I can't wait for my 200P Dob :()

Have you tried upping the magnification?

Nice one :smiley:. That's on my first list of Messiers which I'd hoped to have a go at last night but cloud was solid. As it's close to a formation I can recognise (Cassiopeia?) I thought it will be a good start. Oh well, it will still be there when the skies clear, then there's only 109 or so to go :grin:

Jason

...it aint that close to cassiopeia..you neeto find Lyra its between the two bottom stars,close to lyrae sheliak...i think.

The first time i observed The Ring it was a happy accident. IIRC, the Moon was also full the night i spotted it and it didnt seem to hamper my view. I'm sure its better when there is no Moon around but i was chuffed. It was with my Heritage 130P and it appeared as exactly what it sounds like "a little ring of smoke" hanging in the sky.

Well done of observing it. Its a beauty.

I wasn't holding much hope for finding anything last night, considering the situation with the moon. But we did find M81 & M82 just about, as they were very faint and andromeda was a total no go. Found the ring nebula with the 32mm and then zoom in with a 20mm.

...it aint that close to cassiopeia..you neeto find Lyra its between the two bottom stars,close to lyrae sheliak...i think.

No wonder I couldn't find it :eek:

Tried again tonight before clouds rolled in. I was looking in that parallelogram (Is that Lyra?) near Vega. Not really sure what I'm expecting to see, but I'll probably know when I find it.

Thanks for help.

Jason

I saw the ring nebular and also the dumbell nebular both for the first time last night, I thought i could see a slight hint of blue in the ring with averted vision. I could not see the the star in the middle i think it might be a bit too much for my scope. The dumbell didnt have much detail at all it was a kind if egg timer shaped grey fuzzy, but none the less i was very happy. I also saw the hercules cluster which was very good i could make out stars that looked like fine glitter towards the outskirts of the cluster. And to end the night i split the double star Alberio for the first time :) All in all a very pleasing night.

Hi

My setup is now the following..

Skywatcher Skymax 180 Pro f/l 2700mm.

HQY5 guide camera on a 9x50 finder.

HEQ5 Pro mount.

Canon D600 unmodified

The shots I took consisted of 32 lights, 20 darks, 20 bias, 20 dark flats and 20 flat files.

120sec subs

30sec rest chip time

iso 400

all setup in APT software

I used just the canon d600 straight on the scope with the HQY5 camera guiding in PHD.

All stacked in Dss and touched up with Gimp.

I only got 32 subs due to the clouds rolling in spoiling the night. I will have another go soon hopefully adding more detail.

I too took a piccy of it for the first time last week :)

This was with the crappy (for taking photos anyway) 6SE standard mount (the 6SE tube is nice though), no barlow, just the DSLR on the back. No flats or anything so it's a pretty raw imagine really.

It looks so lonely out there all on it's own :icon_sad:

post-20192-0-47369200-1347527609_thumb.j

Archived