Beach Towel helps Astronomer!!!???

Roy Batty

Like most of us I suffer from not ideal viewing from the back garden, you know the kind of thing - street lights, neighbours security lights etc... ;)

I read somewhere that using a shroud to cover your head and the eyepiece improved the contrast and brightness of the image viewed. I had a look on the web and telescope house do something for about £17, but I thought thats a bit steep for what is essentially a square of material. So I thought what can I use that is large enough for the job? :( So what can i use me thinks? aha- try an old beach towel folded in half - job done. Its heavy enough not slip of when draped over your head and scope ep and folded in half little or no external light spoils your view. This will probably be useful for those with long eye relief ep's, as there's more of a chance that unless your eye is right up against your ep that outside light will deteriorate the view.

So now you know .... there is a use for that beach towel that had no use here this summer!

PS: Mite be wise to let the significant other half know what your doing before you sneak that towel out of the airing cupboard! :wink:

Archived