SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter with Io Transit animation

Kbramley

When the thin wispy cloud ruined my attempts at some deepsky the other night I switched my attention to Jupiter as it rose above the houses. At the time I had no idea what i was about to witness but it goes down as one of my favourite observations ever, the transit of Io across Jupiter complete with shadow which amazingly coincided with the GRS :o

I was only going to have a quick look before I packed up for the night but spotted on Cartes du Ciel that Io was about to transit, so i popped in the Lifecam and took a few avis, well to cut a long story short it ended up being 40x90s avi's in total, a whole 40GB of data lol and I was still grabing data when it came light. The seeing was superb and I had one of my best visual observtions of Jupiter every, even though I could no colour, the detail was mind boggling using my 3x barlow and 7mm eyepiece, I have never seen so much detail on Jupiter before.

The Lifecam HD isnt the best planetary camera and I really wish i had used the full HD now, but opted for 640x480 to get the faster FPS, I was surprised i could capture the moons and jupiter at the same time, in the past I have had to over expose Jupiter to get the moons.

So here is the result of nearly 2 hours data, a 40 frame animation of the transit, hope you like it - you may need to open it into a new window to see animation

post-17161-0-21276100-1346513151_thumb.g

Keith

That's a cracking cool animation Keith! :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm totally overwhelmed with the number of people looking at this, thanks everyone :)

I'm itching to get out and try again now, but next cloudy night with nothing to do I may run through the processing again using the tips from here and see if this can be improved. Watch this space.

Clear skies

Keith

Nice captures,and animation. Well worth putting in a camera. If you can get a spc 900 or better still a DBK i reckon your mak newt will surprise you even more. you could easily go to about f30 with a scope so nice.And reveal even more detail. If you wanted to go further

nice work,

I agree, also I would increase the capture time to aprox 3 minutes or up to 2000 frames and keep the frame rate lower to about 10-15 fps to avoid compression.

Regards

Ben

Archived