HEQ5 Pro mount - Overkill ?

Telescope40

Morning all. Looking at options for a Goto mount to be used with my SW200 and C100 Apo. Hoping for some feedback after peeps take a look at my ramblings below.

I'll attempt to be brief . LOL

I'n not into AP and thinking I wont be going down that route. This is purely for visual observing with a little webcaming of the Moon and planets when the urge takes me.

Been looking at the specs of the Celestron CG5 GT and the Skywatcher EQ5 on FLO's website and was leaning towards the Celestron unit, if I'm honest. Hoping to save some cash and as these pop up on ABS website from time to time, I was happy to wait till the right mount appeared. Maybe able to snap a S/H one up for around £300 - £350 ish.

Now taken a look at the HEQ5 Pro mount, as a couple of these babys have popped up on ABS of late. Same idea as above. Try to catch a S/H one maybe in the region of £450 - £500 for the right one.

My question is whether the HEQ mount is overkill for what I need.

Is it much heavier.

Is it a step up in class from the CG5 / EQ5 with regard to noise, stability, weight and tracking, or any other factors peeps may know of.

For the sake of saving some dosh / quality, will I regret either way , buying a HEQ5 or settling for a CG5 / EQ5.

( I already have a CG5 tripod with the 2 in legs )

Feedback much appreciated. I'm sure I will have missing something in my post and will update if anything comes to mind.

Regards and clear skies, as always. John

I would go for the HEQ5. My Vixen Great Polaris mount (the EQ5 is a Synta clone), is rated by Vixen as suitable for an 8" SCT (like my C8 OTA which is short and weighs in at only 4.7 kg), a 6" Newtonian, or a 4" refractor (longer tubes mean more torque on the mount). I run my APM 80mm frac and 35mm solar scope on that mount and the image is rock-steady. An 8" Newtonian would be on the edge of the (more relaxed) Synta tolerances for my mount. The image would wobble a lot, and that means you see less (and get annoyed). The HEQ5 would carry the 8" Newtonian with relative ease, which is always a good thing.

The HEQ5 for the reasons stated above. I have both an EQ5 and HEQ5 and there is no contest as to which is the better mount. Although I do use the EQ5 for Solar photography. Don't forget that the HEQ5 can be upgraqded to full goto etc using EQMOD (freeware) and a laptop/netbook should you ever want to go in that direction. In other words you may pay a touch more - even second hand - but you will be futureproofing yourself for at least a few years to come.

You could put a 200P and ED80 on the mount but it would be pushing its limit. This would be fine for visual (but not so good for long exposure photography) and webcam type imaging. If you use a side by side bar it would put less strain on the mount than a piggy-back arrangement also you may need to add a bit more counterweight or (if you can get one) use a counterweight extension bar.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Looks like the HEQ is the way to go. 1 more Q.

Am I reading the above correctly. Can the standard HEQ5 be made into a Goto mount using EQMOD free software and a laptop instead of buying upgrade Syncan kit. Or I could go the whole hog and buy the PRO version.

Thx again John

As John says Syntrek or Synscan can be "upgraded" to use with EQMOD (which is far better than anything the handset can do!!!). The basic motorised mount (older version) can be upgraded but you have to buy new motors / control board etc which will get very expensive!

I have a HEQ5 and its a great mount for a beginner to equatorial mounts and AP like me. Most impressed. I never use the Handset (EQMOD all the way for me) and was going to flog it on ABS but may hang onto it in case I upgrade to HEQ6 in a couple of years.

Archived