ST80 on EQ1 for cheap grab & go

Thats true, but then you've still got to put the eq1 on something. If that were the case I would be inclined to get a heritage 130p.

It does look smart though.

Chris

But, the ST80 and the table top EQ1 may be slightly less bulky than the heritage, and collimation won't be needed (as I've noticed, collapsing the flex on the Heritage knocks it out of collimation, which is why I leave it extended). I'm sure you could either put it on a chair, or sit on a rug on the ground for the table top EQ1.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My objections to the EQ1 with a scope for visual use is that it's a whole load of complexity and weight that achieves basically nothing. [...]

You're probably better off leaving the RA and DEC clutches locked (though they're not brilliant at that) and loosening the alt and az adjusters so you can use it as an alt-az mount. In which case, why not get it on an alt-az to start with?

[...] I just can't see what is gained by selling the ST80 on the EQ1. [...] For me it would make far more sense on the AZ3. Perhaps I'm missing something...

Yeah I agree with this. I'd much rather have had a lighter az mount with mine.

Don't really want to hijak this thread but seemed pointless asking a question about ST80 when there is a thread going on the main page still.

I am looking for a highly portable scope to compliment what I already have. I already have a tripod with joystick head which I use for my 20x80 but I'm basically looking for a scope that would sit on the same tripod, give me similar views as the 20x80 bins but would allow me to use my eyepieces to alter the magnification a little. I'm also looking for a scope that I can pack up and tack on holidays with me and allow me to see planets, open clusters, globs and possibly some of the easier to spot galaxies. The ST80 looks very much to fit the bill for me. My concern is how I fit it to the tripod. The ST80 appears to have a dovetail bar. Can anyone link me to a cheapish head which would fit onto a standard thread of a camera tripod but accept a dovetail bar instead of the thread that comes with binoculars?

Also, can I change the 45' to a 90' later if I want to?

Can I use the ST80 as a solarscope with solar filter and baader solar continium?

The tripod I use at the moment is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Aluminium-Tripod-Joystick-Grip-Ballhead-/360481900657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53ee654871

Thanks

If you get the short Skywatcher dovetail bar then I believe it is already tapped for a 1/4" UNC camera thread. so should fit straight onto the tripod. The ST80 can be fitted to that dovetail with rings.

James

I use my ST80 as a holiday scope and as a white light solar scope with Baader film. For grab and go, I screwed a standard Manfrotto quick release plate to the bottom of one tube ring and just use it like that. I use a 3-way pan tilt head the worng way round so I can get enough elevation to view high up. Not the best but it works.

For solar imaging, I mount it on my EQ3-2 via a short dovetail.

I would agree with James. I love my ST80 for wide views of starfilelds but it's not an all round scope. I use it on a sturdy camera tripod or an AZ4, the EQ1 is hopeless for visual use. The Heritage 130P is a much more useful telescope.

I agree with the above suggestions about the 130p, though i will say that the st80, for it's size and cost isn't a bad scope at all. I have seen quite good views of Saturn and Jupiter within my ST80 when i used it to take up a friends house. It's cheap and cheerful.

Archived