ST80 on EQ1 for cheap grab & go

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'm really happy with my 200p flex tube dob. I've got it around my mums place as she has a garden, which backs on to a field under the south downs, I don't have a garden and it's not always possible to do quick sessions around there, with work the dog etc. I also have a friend whose bought an 8inch cassegrain who I could drive to with a small portable scope, and it would also be handy to take to my society observing sessions. We don't get a lot of time hence so I was thinking a short refractor for wide FOV because I would like to have the opportunity to find messier objects, star fields etc, with quick cool down time. I'm not expecting views like my main scope but the need to learn and search more regularly would be to an advantage. I don't want the eq1 but it comes as a bundle with the scope cheaply, I've seen they bundle the st102 with az3 for around £200 maybe the ca would be worse? But the mount would be good right? Obviously I'm looking to do this cheaply, but don't want to waste my money!! I have 10 by 50 binos and have tried 20 by 100s on a horizon mount which was great but I found it all a bit of a neck breaker hence a small scope scope mount option. That's about it, so what do you think?

Chris

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought an ST102 second hand after I'd had my ST80 for a while. It's still a small aperture scope, obviously, but I found it made quite a big difference to what I could find. Many of the fainter Messier objects were really quite challenging with the ST80, but with the ST102 I felt much more confident about finding them. Perhaps that was partially my increasing experience, but it was when I got the ST102 that I really started to enjoy hunting for "faint fuzzies".

It's not a huge amount bigger than the ST80 either.

James

That's encouraging! Without having every option available to view through makes these decision really hard.

This forum is awesome!

Many thanks

Chris

In addition, I bet the AZ-3 with an ST102 is probably a bit heavier than the ST80 on an EQ1. Not an easy decision...

If you ever have the chance, visiting the FLO showroom from later this month when it's open may give you an idea, but it's in Exeter (Devon). Are there any astro shops near you where you could compare them?

In addition, I bet the AZ-3 with an ST102 is probably a bit heavier than the ST80 on an EQ1. Not an easy decision...

If you ever have the chance, visiting the FLO showroom from later this month when it's open may give you an idea, but it's in Exeter (Devon). Are there any astro shops near you where you could compare them?

yes there are, but they don't all stock the same lines. I don't feel though the weight descrepency would cause too much of a problem

Chris

I'll take your bet :)

An ST80 on an EQ1 including tripod and counterweight is going to weigh about 7.2kg all in. A smidge over 5kg without the counterweight, but you'd need it anyhow. The ST102 OTA is about 1.2kg heavier than the ST80 OTA, but all in you might just scrape over 5kg if you had your thumb on the scales. There's nothing to the AZ3 mount body.

James

I don't think the EQ-1 mount is all that bad. You only need a rough polar alignment for visual and then you can track for a good while using just the RA control. My biggest complaint is that the flexible controls are too long and sometimes get caught up with the counterweight or with each other. If I see anything suitable I will replace them with a pair of knobs.

Don't get the RA motor though. That is rubbsh, it gets in the way.

I don't think the EQ-1 mount is all that bad. You only need a rough polar alignment for visual and then you can track for a good while using just the RA control. My biggest complaint is that the flexible controls are too long and sometimes get caught up with the counterweight or with each other. If I see anything suitable I will replace them with a pair of knobs.

Don't get the RA motor though. That is rubbsh, it gets in the way.

Cant you get shorter slow mo controls? Little knobs like the porta mount would be good.

I'll take your bet :)

An ST80 on an EQ1 including tripod and counterweight is going to weigh about 7.2kg all in. A smidge over 5kg without the counterweight, but you'd need it anyhow. The ST102 OTA is about 1.2kg heavier than the ST80 OTA, but all in you might just scrape over 5kg if you had your thumb on the scales. There's nothing to the AZ3 mount body.

James

So they are pretty much the same weight. Wow, good thing I didn't bet on it :).

Without the EQ1 counterweight then yes, they're probably pretty close. It's the 2kg+ of counterweight that really spoils it.

Given that neither scope is as long as the collapsed tripod legs (I think -- I'd need to go and measure to be certain), I reckon that makes the ST102/AZ3 potentially quite a neat little package to stick into a bag that could be carried over one shoulder. About as "grab and go" as you could get :)

I think Naemeth makes a good point about different people meaning different things by "grab and go" though. I'd describe my EQ3-2/127 Mak as "easily portable", but not "grab and go", but I know others would differ. For me, it means there's an element of speed as well as portability.

James

Without the EQ1 counterweight then yes, they're probably pretty close. It's the 2kg+ of counterweight that really spoils it.

Given that neither scope is as long as the collapsed tripod legs (I think -- I'd need to go and measure to be certain), I reckon that makes the ST102/AZ3 potentially quite a neat little package to stick into a bag that could be carried over one shoulder. About as "grab and go" as you could get :)

I think Naemeth makes a good point about different people meaning different things by "grab and go" though. I'd describe my EQ3-2/127 Mak as "easily portable", but not "grab and go", but I know others would differ. For me, it means there's an element of speed as well as portability.

James

I would describe my Heritage as "grab and go", but not easily portable (unless you have a car!) as it's bulky and finding a backpack for it is near impossible as the base cannot be folded, even if you did take the OTA off.

To me anyway, grab and go means quick set up, and portable means a fairly small footprint so it can fit in a fairly small backpack or possibly a large suitcase. But in the OP's case, grab and go probably means the later, a portable set up.

The ST102 will be 500mm long.

I would describe my Heritage as "grab and go", but not easily portable (unless you have a car!) as it's bulky and finding a backpack for it is near impossible as the base cannot be folded, even if you did take the OTA off.

To me anyway, grab and go means quick set up, and portable means a fairly small footprint so it can fit in a fairly small backpack or possibly a large suitcase. But in the OP's case, grab and go probably means the later, a portable set up.

The ST102 will be 500mm long.

For me a quick setup/pack down scope in a small package that's easy to use sounds ideal. Can be stored in the boot fo the car.

500mm seems a good size to manage too.

Chris

I suppose if I thought about it, grab and go for me would mean a scope that remains attached to the mount and tripod fully assembled with counter-weights (if an EQ), and just needs to be carried outside and pointed North. The ST80 on EQ1 certainly does this for me, but for an extra five minutes I could have my CG-4 and a better 80mm OTA fitted on a dovetail. I definitely would not want to lug an ST80 with EQ1 up a hill in a ruck sack, but maybe that's just me. :icon_rabbit:

I'm just wondering how I would get on with the 45 degree diagonal in the first instance, or wether I would need a 90 degree on order with it?

Chris

The ST80 on EQ1 comes with a 90 degree diagonal, I think it is just the ST80 OTA that comes with the 45 degree one. By the time you have bought a diagonal and a better mount, you could probably have bought a better OTA (that comes with a 90 degree diagonal) on a better mount as a bundle.

I use an AZ4 and me ED80 as a grab and go. I usually put a 5kg weight on the tray to give it some stability. As long as I don't touch it I'm very happy with the visual results and even some photos ;)

I use an AZ4 and me ED80 as a grab and go. I usually put a 5kg weight on the tray to give it some stability. As long as I don't touch it I'm very happy with the visual results and even some photos ;)

That sound like a nice setup. Is the az4 the aluminium Type?

Chris

Hmm, hadn't thought that the table top would be stable really.. but it certainly would make the ST80 + Table top EQ more portable.. I suppose it must be more stable as it is closer to the ground.

Thats true, but then you've still got to put the eq1 on something. If that were the case I would be inclined to get a heritage 130p.

It does look smart though.

Chris

Archived