SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If you could meet one historical astronomer, who would it be?

CrowdFoundAstro

Einstein was a physicist, not an astronomer, but much of his work has been proven by astronomers.

Tycho Brahe was my second choice, and that's a terrible pun, Ron. ;) No really, bad. :wink:

Yeah!, but you had a little titter didn't you AM, didn't you?. :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't Isaac Newton invent the reflecting telescope?

That surely makes him an astronomer - in which case I would like to have met him even if he was a bit

schizoid - ok a lot schizoid.

I wasn't aware Sir Isaac had multi personalities. Where did you hear/ read this? News to me.

Ron. ;)

The invention of the cat flap is frequently attributed to Isaac Newton on the World Wide Web.[4] However, author Charles R. Gibson, writing about the life of Newton in 1921, recorded that "To this day students at Cambridge are told how there were two holes cut in the door of Newton's chamber: one hole, much larger than the other, for the use of his cat, the smaller one for the convenience of the kitten", but states that this goes in the face of "...a letter written by Newton's assistant [who] gives us the following information, which is direct evidence and not mere hearsay. `He kept neither dog nor cat in his chamber...'"[5]

Sometimes think there's no ROMANCE left in the world.

(Wondering how I'd get back in, late at night too)! ;)

I wasn't aware Sir Isaac had multi personalities. Where did you hear/ read this? News to me.

Ron. ;)

i wasn't aware 'schizoid' had anything to do with multiple personalities. Where did you hear/ read this? News to me.

from wikipedia:

"Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, and emotional coldness."

Having read the following, it seems I am guilty of being out of touch, and therefore I stand corrected by TBF.

It seems I was operating an association between the two words, in respect of schzophrenia, a horrid complaint, and in no way applies to Sir Isaac Newton, so I apologize to TBF, who is wholy correct, and of course, to Sir Isaac himself.

This from a medical journal.

"As one can see, the term "schizoid" was used in

psychiatric circles to refer to something

suggestive of schizophrenia decades ago, but that

use of the term has since ceased. One may ask the

question as to why psychiatrists decided to use

the term "schizoid" to define a personality

disorder that has nothing to do with

schizophrenia. The reason is somewhat ambiguous,

but not without merit. Social withdrawal, the

inability to form close relationships, and

flattened affect are symptoms that schizophrenics

often develop. This similarity resulted in the

eventual adaptation of the term schizoid to

define a reclusive personality disorder."

End Quote

Having read the following, it seems I am guilty of being out of touch, and therefore I stand corrected by TBF.

It seems I was operating an association between the two words, in respect of schzophrenia, a horrid complaint, and in no way applies to Sir Isaac Newton, so I apologize to TBF, who is wholy correct, and of course, to Sir Isaac himself.

At last my psychology degree has come in useful - all that time and money spent in pubs lectures hasn't

been a complete waste.

No real need for an apology barkis, an easy mistake to make, but graciously accepted anyway.

I would like to have met Tycho Brahe in his observatory at Hven. It is well documented he had the finest collection of scientific instruments of the time in there. Would be nice to actually get to look them over. Maybe to suggest a few modifications to improve certain aspects.

He would probably have taken my nose off at such affrontary :wink:

Ron. :D

When Tycho Brahe and his nose job are mentioned I always get this image Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. You know, where he played two roles,the really bad guy and the not so bad (drunken) bad guy. In the bad guy role he was a real tough and mean character who wore a dark hat and had a silver false nose. I think Tycho may have been a bit like that what with his dueling and all...

Not a lot to do with the actual thread but I thought I'd just mention it. ;) A fun film though! :(

CW

I would like to have met Tycho Brahe in his observatory at Hven. It is well documented he had the finest collection of scientific instruments of the time in there. Would be nice to actually get to look them over. Maybe to suggest a few modifications to improve certain aspects.

He would probably have taken my nose off at such affrontary :wink:

Ron. :lol:

When Tycho Brahe and his nose job are mentioned I always get this image Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou. You know, where he played two roles,the really bad guy and the not so bad (drunken) bad guy. In the bad guy role he was a real tough and mean character who wore a dark hat and had a silver false nose. I think Tycho may have been a bit like that what with his dueling and all...

Not a lot to do with the actual thread but I thought I'd just mention it. ;) A fun film though! :(

CW

Ah, good evening CW, I trust you are well. I had an Idea you would pick up on Tycho's nose. It was hell for the poor guy you know. On a hot day, it would run a lot. Too much wax, and not enough gold. Left the old schnozzle depleted, but very shiny. :D

He shouldn't have got into a fight where he came a bad second heh?.

Tell me, are you going to SGL 4?

rON. :lol:

Ah, good evening CW, I trust you are well. I had an Idea you would pick up on Tycho's nose.

rON. :(

Ah! You read me so well,Ron! I'm a sucker for the obscure. :D

Probably won't be attending SGL4,Ron. Things are a 'bit up in the air' at the moment.

The missus in a 'Planning Mode'.......Aaaaagh! Wants new French Doors (British is Best I told her.....no verbal responce just a raised eyebrow and cool stare.) a second floor added to the extension, 'tasteful' railings around the front garden and "something must be done about this carpeting" etc.. On top of all this we have our Ruby Wedding Anniversary coming up...relations I haven't seen for decades stopping over, dinner for all at a 'Nice' restaraunt and get this,"we will have to hire one of those stretched limo things"! :wink:

My Good Lady (to use a phrase of your's,Ron)is Yorkshire bred and has the same motto as The Prince of Wales own Regiment of Yorkshire.......Nec aspera terrent.....Difficulties be damned!

Will I survive? ;) Only time will tell!

CW

Ah, good evening CW, I trust you are well. I had an Idea you would pick up on Tycho's nose.

rON. :(

Ah! You read me so well,Ron! I'm a sucker for the obscure. :D

Probably won't be attending SGL4,Ron. Things are a 'bit up in the air' at the moment.

The missus in a 'Planning Mode'.......Aaaaagh! Wants new French Doors (British is Best I told her.....no verbal responce just a raised eyebrow and cool stare.) a second floor added to the extension, 'tasteful' railings around the front garden and "something must be done about this carpeting" etc.. On top of all this we have our Ruby Wedding Anniversary coming up...relations I haven't seen for decades stopping over, dinner for all at a 'Nice' restaraunt and get this,"we will have to hire one of those stretched limo things"! :wink:

My Good Lady (to use a phrase of your's,Ron)is Yorkshire bred and has the same motto as The Prince of Wales own Regiment of Yorkshire.......Nec aspera terrent.....Difficulties be damned!

Will I survive? ;) Only time will tell!

CW

Good grief man, she's still making demands after 40 years?. I would have thought she would have mellowed to making polite requests.

You will have to start stamping feet and barking out some Part 1 orders. Tell her also you have been summoned by the SGL HQ. to perform security duties at said SP SGL 4. If that doesn't work, you will just have to knuckle down, and do as your dear spouse demands.

We are all weak you know, so don't feel too badly about it. They invariably get the better of us all.

:lol:

i wasn't aware 'schizoid' had anything to do with multiple personalities. Where did you hear/ read this? News to me.

from wikipedia:

"Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, and emotional coldness."

Wait, that means :shock: that episode of "The Prisoner" (Schizoid Man) is erroneously named!!!

• 2 years later...
George Alcock, who once discovered two comets in a single week! Good going in any circumstances but ...with binoculars....under British skies....Awesome! :) :)

I would like to have asked him how he was able to retain in his minds eye the postions of hundreds of thousands of stars which enabled him to 'spot the difference' when observing. (That could be very handy!)

CW

I've actually met him hundreds of times :-) - he was my class's main teacher at Southfields Junior School, Stanground, Peterborough back in 1972, occasionally took a few of us out birdwatching with him. RIP Mr Alcock.

I heard David Levy speaking about about a man called Leslie Peltier - having read 'Starlight Nights' by Peltier he is the historical astronomer I would most like to meet. His descriptions of cold nights at the telescope will ring a bell with all amateur astronomers.

My second choice would be Gene Shoemaker.

from wikipedia:

[removed word] ! I'll get me coat.....

as regards the question it has to be Sir Patrick.

I'll go for Zwicky, he sounds like a real 'character'...

You're living dangerously, Gaz! One of his colleagues said that 'The Zwicky' should be adopted as a unit of abrasievness, to which another replied that the micro-Zwicky would already exceed the highest know abrasiveness on earth! Walter Baader thought Zwicky wanted to kill him.

I have a theory about Hubble being the prototype for a famous fictional character so maybe him. But if I wanted to meet a nice and inspiring guy, E.E.Barnard. If only the rich and powerful Lowell had had the sense to listen to the poor and humble Barnard (the best telescopic observer of all time?) when he said that he could see no canals on Mars... As had has been said 'The Immortal Fire Within' is a great, great read.

But then again, there is the irresistible Caroline Porco. Oh wobbly knees!

Olly

I want to change my mind (although Patrick of course maintains his exalted position)! Can I have two actually, seeing as they come as a pair? I don't know if anyone thinks they count, but Penzias and Wilson surely get it just for the accidental discovery of the CMB. Pigeon s**t, as they thought at the time!

In the RIP category...Carl Sagan for the actual astronomer...

Richard Feynman for just being the smartest man who ever lived...and okay he was not an astronomer, but when he went, science as a whole lost a great deal.

Patrick was my planetary science teacher at Uni.. and have spent many a happy hour in his company over the years. Pete (Starman here) likewise, for being a real inspiration and friend.... , Andy Burns as a mentor too...

.. and having been blessed with meeting Shri Kulkarni and Scott Kardel I think I can die a happy man

Archived