Replacements for my 15x70 celetrons

jabberwocky

If you want the same size, the Helios Apollo is very good indeed. It's heavier, but I find it easier to hand-hold steady-ish-ly for short periods (must be an inertia/balance thing), but can't hold it for as long (due to the weight). The UK suppliers seem to be out of stock (if any claim to have it in stock, verify that they do actually have it -- a trick some of them use to get your order is to list it as being in stock then, when you enquire if it's in stock, say something like "it is shipped directly from the importer" without mentioning that the importer is out of stock), but you can still get it from TS (from whom I've had excellent service in the past). If you want to go for something smaller but better quality, give us a clue what you might be thinking of.

the celetrons are cheap and popular but I've noticed optically they aren't the best

What's your main issue with them - false colour, edge of field aberration, both or something else? My main gripe with my Helios 15x70 would be edge of field mushiness but I don't know if you can solve that for less than £300.

Archived