Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Corrector de-smearing

Folks, during my travels I managed to acquire a vgc C8 ota that will supplement my 6SE/mount. Nothing quite like dew spoiling as session :D

Anyway, the ota was almost pristine bar a couple of seemingly little things - a small piece of debris on the otherwise spotless mirror (which I'll be leaving well alone) and grease on the corrector, as if it'd been left in the kitchen why doing chips. I should add that nowhere else on the ota except the dovetail did I see any sign of use, it really is/was almost pristine. So, armed with Baader fluid and the micro cloth it came with, I set about wiping it off with strokes from centre to edge. So far so good. However, now it has dried I can see smears where I was wiping, which is basically everywhere :embarrassed:

I'm assuming it's not going to affect the optical performance, at least any more than the grease would, but does anyone have any tips for de-smearing the corrector now? :confused:

Thanks - I've just been out cleaning it again and it's certainly better, I just wasn't sure how much I should be attempting to clean it. It's not perfect, and wiping centre to edge seems to leave more streaks than wiping around the secondary i.e. going around the corrector in a circular fashion. Hmm. Seems to be only when light falls on it in a certain way that one area shows a light smear. I'm probably obsessing a little too much :D:eek:

Seems to be only when light falls on it in a certain way that one area shows a light smear. I'm probably obsessing a little too much :D:eek:

Well I used to obsess over camera optics as well as astronomy optics. It's tough to get a truly clean surface when viewing it at all angles and in different light.

So now I clean a surface, maybe have a second go, then quit while I'm ahead.

Then have another look later and have another go :grin:

Regards, Ed.

Archived