Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus even longer exposures

riklaunim

Yet another attempt at catching the Uranus rings. This time the air was stable and the guiding was smooth so 5 minute exposures at 2800 mm were doable (C11 / HEQ5 / Atik 314L+).

10 x 15 sec orange filter:

moons.jpg

15 x 5 minutes, Baader methane filter (21:36 - 22:56 UT 28.08.2012):

ch4.jpg

No rings? You can download the raw stack and try to process it, maybe there are some signs of the rings. The images was stacked on Uranus.

Stellarium

stellarium.png

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice :) .. wish I could get the moons like that.

Looking at it like this I think if their were any rings they might show up (the human eye is very good at picking out patterns).

I can see various other patterns in the image though when it's rotated like this, which I don't see at all with a static image.

Unfortunately YouTube recompress my videos and remove the fine detail with their compression :( .. the original has much better resolution etc.

http://www.youtube....h?v=UGgBMwPSCKk

Nice try! Have any amateurs managed to capure the rings?

I found this website which claims that an amatuer astronomer had captured the rings (http://brightstar.pt...-of-uranus.html), but if you read it closely, the images was taken on an 80cm f/10 telescope. Hardly amateur equipment!

I was basing on that capture. Aside of 800 mm aperture the equipment was "normal". No fancy camera or adaptive optics. I'll try later this month - using opposition effect and bigger scope ;)

• 1 year later...

Great captures and I'm loving the moons.

Also love the idea of getting the rings ...wowzers that's worth a go. Last time I attempted a Uranus moon shot I used my dslr and only got 2 with my old 9.25" but on a single shot long exposure. The problem with this was that the long exp blows out the planet and I guess the rings if there was any hope, so stacking might be the answer as you say. I want to try again now :-)

Archived