Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

jamespels

Peak Star Party 2013

UKAI 'Gravity' Live @ Peak Star Party

UKAI will be at the Peak Star Party during the weekend of 11th-14th October 2013, and we will be available for live demonstrations of imaging during the night and solar imaging during the daytime, weather permitting.  

We will have on show the SkyTracker mount available as a prize in our current 'Widefield Imaging Competition', and UKAI will also be offering a Celestron AZ70mm Refractor Telescope package as a prize in the bottle rocket competition

Just look out for the UKAI banner to find our camp, and pop in and say Hi

cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Hey Ian, will u planning on running to morrisons again this year? Just incase we forget anything lol :-)

Hi Kerry,

Yes i am sure I can give you a lift at some point over the weekend

Ian

Some thing else that may be handy for people who have not been to a star party to know is, if you are using a mount and tripod is likely that the legs will sink into the grass/ground. To prevent this get three square blocks of wood 5 x 5 inch by 1 inch thick approx and drill a hole on the middle of each one that is large enough to accept the foot of your tripod. Place one under each foot of your tripod. This means that once you have polar aligned your mount/tripod it will not alter due to your tripod sinking into the ground.

Ian

Sent from ma fone using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

As this is my first time any more hints and tips will be more than welcome saves me getting there and thinking oh i could have brought that or done that.

apart from your scope etc, sleeping stuff and food (oh, and the tent!) the main things are something to sit on, something to read, maps and booze.

things not to do:

any white light after dark (even mobiles)

ensure your interior car lights are off and bring black bags if your alarm when activated flashes your indicators.

if you have a head torch with bright led's then don't stand opposite someone with it on

if someone is intently looking through the eyepiece, just wait for a pause before loudly announcing your arrival

if someone is imaging don't just tramp up as your walking could ruin a sub - always ask if it's OK

obviously never start touching or looking through equipment without asking first.

if you are short in stature, bring a little stool as some scopes can be out of reach

the main thing is be nice, have fun and bring jaffa cakes.

• Like 2

You missed the big one Shane:

In the event that it is foggy (as per last year) or cloudy be prepared to stand around in the cold all night waiting and praying for a break.

If it is foggy and you sack it for the night......listen intently for slewing scopes......a good sign it's cleared up ;)

And as Shane says, be polite, consider others and have fun ;)

On the issue of car alarm flashing:

Most cars will not flash if you unlock it by inserting the key in the lock - don't use the buttons.

On the issue of car alarm flashing:

Most cars will not flash if you unlock it by inserting the key in the lock - don't use the buttons.

My car flashes and makes a lot of noise if I unlock it with the key :p

Trick is to lock it with the key first so you don't set the alarm so it doesn't go off when you unlock it.

I'm lucky as I have an option in the on board computer to turn the flashing off so I can use it remotely anyhow.

Is there a bring and buy sale this year? If so will there be a thread to list stuff in advance?

(I've got a couple of bulky things to sell that I'll possibly only bring if I know I've got a sale.)

• Like 1

Is there a bring and buy sale this year? If so will there be a thread to list stuff in advance?

(I've got a couple of bulky things to sell that I'll possibly only bring if I know I've got a sale.)

I was going to ask if anyone is selling anything, iv just got books to sell as I sold the scope a few month back, what are u selling? :-)

I was going to ask if anyone is selling anything, iv just got books to sell as I sold the scope a few month back, what are u selling? :-)

Well I didn't want to say until it was ok'd to post outside classifieds but seeing as you are asking the main things I was thinking were a Helios 120mm f8 refractor (like the S/W Evostar, as that was the Synta's old trading name, I gather but in a different colour scheme) plus an EQ3 on ali tripod and motors sell all together or split. I'll have some other bits & pieces but I haven't sorted them out yet.

I will have some kit to sell at PSP. Will put a list together. Is the Astroboot day Saturday?

Cheers

Stu

I'll get a nod off admin about putting things on here for sale/heads up. I'll also have some bits to bring myself.

I guess if it's just a list of stuff available to buy on the day, rather than actually trying to sell on here, it may be acceptable?

Stu

I will have some things to sell, so I shall bring them along ;-).

hi all

Please see the following from Admin:

"Items for sale need to go into the classifieds as usual, but people can mention in the ad that it's available for collection at PSP.

We only make the concession about items for sale in the SGL party threads, because it's our star party. If we allow PSP, everyone will want the same and before you know where we are the social groups etc will be full of for sale adverts."

Can we therefore just comply with the request? Seems reasonable. I'll not remove anything added thus far but please don't add any more. Maybe something in the for sale ad header such as 'Available at PSP 2012 two widgets and a gizmo'

Just had to re-string my tent poles well two of them as i took my tent down from airing last week two broke into pieces, sent off for new tent pole string and just finished it wasn't as bad as i thought everything is ready to go now.

Sounds fair enough to me (I've got classified access of course) - I started the topic as I thought I remembered there being one last year but happy to comply with whatever. I'll have to take some photos so I can post the ad in classifieds so please bear with me. Deliberately hadn't put prices on the gear I mentioned so it didn't sort of come across as an offer to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

just need a scope cover sheet and i'm ready...I think!

Not everything then lol i haven't got one and i need a box put my scope in to transport it forgot about that.