Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

The wonders of the constellation Scutum are a multitude. A wealth of bright and dark nebulae populate this area as well as the star clouds that looms large in this close up image.

Once again, an image taken with film. My choice of Fuji Superia 100 color negative provides much sharper stars than transparency films and also offers a wider latitude in exposure. Film's dynamic range brings out the faint details as well as keeping the brighter portions tamed in this single 40 minute exposure. The Pentax 67 with the 165 f/2.8 portrait lens set at f/4 provided the means of capture.

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy.

Scutum_scnr_neat_1280a.jpg

Join me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Nightflyastro

• Like 5

Fabulous image Jim,you're the number 1 at these gorgeous widefiefd images.

You keep turning out these gems. Keep them coming mate.

Stunning image quality. I'm suprised to find someone still using film but the results speak for themselves. I could spend ages looking at this.

Very very nice!! Who said film was dead, eh?

You must have amazingly dark skies. No background subtraction, no stacking. Phew! If I ran 40 min exposure here I'd have a lovely image of uniform sodium orange.

You must have good tracking too - though the shorter focal length must help.

Thank you all. Stewart, I could probably beat this with a large format chip, but I cannot afford that 20K price tag. So the 1.99 roll of film will have to do. I appreciate your vote of confidence. I do try to make a good image with the older technology.

Mr. Spock. Film images like these do surprise people. I realize most have moved to the new technology, but I can't do work like this with an economical DSLR. There is an aesthetic element to film that just comes out and grabs you. I'm glad to see it is not just me that sees this. My current limitation at present is my scanner. I just can't quite make a professionally quality print with the one I have. In time I may get to that level. Thanks for your kind statement.

Ouroboros. The skies are dark as it is necessary for fine work. I feel for those such as yourself that have to live under the "glow" . I live in paradise. Tracking corrections are done with an electric hand box using a vintage Meade 2080 I purchased in 1983. It is permanently aligned with the pole. It can track quite well with a correction here and there. The longest focal length lens I work with is 300mm, so it is tolerable to hand correct.

I like film as it offers me a different rendition of the Milky Way. Not to disparage digital capture. The new technology is great. I just like the looks of film, as do others. Its all good fun and I am glad to reproduce the frames here on SGL for all to see.

This is a great forum with lots of friendly imagers. Thank you all again for your kind response .

Jim

just goes to show technology cant always be the winner, this puts many digital shots in their place

I agree with this assessment. As technology advances something of value is replaced by convenience. Cameras in phones for example. They are very convenient, but lack the features needed for really good images. They do alright for what they are and they are getting better. This is what Kodak did not count on happening.

Film is a not the greatest medium for much work in astrophotography, such as narrow field at slow f-ratios or planetary imaging. It can be done, but I leave this work to the imagers that do so well with their digital cameras. This is a great advancement in the art. For wide-field work, proper films exposed for the right duration at the ideal f-ratios under ideal conditions render the sky and Milky Way with an aesthetic beauty I find compelling. It matches what I see in my mind what the Milky Way should look like. Images are gentle and not harsh. Highlights are not blown with smooth midtones as well as faint detail rendered in a single exposure.

I appreciate the kudos for my work. I will continue to produce work with these means as long as I can. The days are numbered however. Lets enjoy the time we have left with it and perhaps one day look back at a time when starlight and chemistry, both of which are organic processes, came together for one last, but beautiful period. A period in the first quarter of the 21st century when science and art, silver and starlight, thrived in the humble home of a wayward astrophotographer.

Thank you Laser Jock, Tom, and Dave. I appreciate the nice comments.

Clear skies to you all!

Jim

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

• By James
      This August I was lucky enough to go back to La Palma with the family for a couple of weeks. Perhaps more importantly I was able to take my cameras, and this time I hired a telescope over there rather than look at the skies wishing I had my scope with me.
      Same as last time we were unlucky with the weather, by La Palma standards, and several nights were lost to very thick Calima - dust laden winds blowing from the Sahara . These clog up the sky and raise the temperature quite drastically. It also severely hampered my ‘schedule’ of timelapses I wanted to get but living in the UK I can expect perhaps one night in two weeks to be clear. I can’t complain at the loss of 4-5 nights out of two weeks! Although it was frustrating to miss the Perseids again - they were on the one night it actually rained!!
      La Palma, perhaps surprisingly for one of the best locations for astronomy in the world, is a very cloudy island. When conditions are ‘normal’ it is usual for the inhabited parts of the island at less than 3000 ft to be frequently cloudy at night time. The cloud comes and goes but is often there and can be seen in several of my timelapses. There is an inversion later at approximately 3000ft though above which it is as clear as it’s cloudy below. So, if you can get high enough you can get above the clouds and almost guarantee starry skies. But, the same situations that give those clouds give us cloud waterfalls over the Cumbre Vieja (the ridge of hills linking the north and south of the island) and some amazing fog. I could go back to La Palma just to do timelapses of the fog/cloud!
      If you can get high enough it’s truly worth it. Up at altitude the skies are very steady and clear. I could see detail and texture in the Milky Way right through from beneath Scorpius/Sagittarius, right overhead and down into Cassiopeia and Perseus. The Milky Way was visible right down to the horizon and the stars were pinpoint spots of light - no twinkling, not even low on the horizon! There are various spots at the side of the road you can set up on - although be prepared for a number of cars to drive past with their lights full on! I was quite surprised at the number of cars - several of my timelapses show the observatories lit up by cars with their lights on full. Of course, arguably I was part of the problem… but then I was happy to drive around on sidelights (once I’d sorted out turning off the cars internal illumination!)
      I met and spoke with a surprising number of people, mostly Spanish and German. But it was frustrating whilst taking a timelapse to have people drive up and take pictures of themselves pointing a torch at the Milky Way, right in my field of view. Some of my timelapses show this despite my best efforts.
      I was able to take Tom up with me a couple of times (even Kate came up too one night!). I quite like being on my own at night but at altitude and with the humidity at less than 5% and the walking around often being on rocky broken volcanic surfaces it was good to have company. Of course, Tom being 10 he can see way better than me, something he was happy to point out regularly!
      I've put together a timelapse which I’ve called the Road to the Roque.  Whether you approach the Roque from the east from Santa Cruz de la Palma or from the north west (Hoya Grande) it’s at the top of a long very switchbacked road. Driving up and down 7-8 times over the two weeks burned out the hire cars brakes  - thank goodness for power steering! You can’t get to the top without going up the road - the views along the way were stunning so any timelapse I put together I wanted to include that part of the journey! The car brakes really were burned out. On the last day driving back to the airport they were noisy enough I felt it best to leave the car in second gear for the last 13km (downhill)..
      I hired a telescope for about a week out there from an outfit that turned out to be just 10 minutes up the road ( http://athos.org  ) A German setup (the guy I spoke to, Jan, spoke perfect English!) which has to be the kind of place I’d happily just move to (just as soon as that lottery win comes in). They have a place with several small houses for accommodation, observing platforms, observatories, plenty of kit and are in a truly dark spot. Absolute Paradise! They kindly gave me a guided tour (they took care I didn’t wake up some of the astronomers that had been up all night) but the place was great. I have started siphoning off money from my joint account… (luckily Kate doesn’t go on SGL!). 
      I hired an Evolution 6 with Starsense. My rationale was to have something I could carry around easily and for it to be smaller than my main scope at home and something I haven’t used before. It worked out perfectly, the little 6 inch was giving me much better views than my 10” Newt does a home and many an hour was spent looking at Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and Venus and looking at objects in the lower reaches of the Milky Way that we can’t normally see from the UK! The starsense was cool - level, aim north, hit a button… and it just worked!
      I could blether on for hours but won’t - here’s a link to the time-lapse I’ve done. Its missing some stuff I wanted to get but some stuff worked better than I’d expected so I can’t complain. A couple of the timelapses were done in strong dusty winds, in one of them I spent an hour hunched over the camera on it’s tripod holding a large black cloth as a shield for me and the camera from virtually gale force winds. Amazingly that one worked well although my shoulders weren’t so happy! Getting lost on the path on the way back down to the car was a bit hairy (the caldera was 20 ft to my right) but a bit of judicious Maps usage on my phone (most of the island provides at least 3G) enabled me to figure out that the all but invisible path I needed was just a few feet back from where I was…
      Finally, all else aside, I can’t overstate what having dark skies does. I live in a dark part of Devon and am grateful for that but the skies there were obscenely dark. The little villa we were staying in near Puntagorda on the north west of the island - you could walk literally straight out of the lit kitchen onto a patio and bang, there was the Milky Way, better than we even see it here, visible clearly in completely un dark adapted eyes… five minutes later and it’s enough to make you think… I could work from here you know, no need to go back to the UK….
      I’ve started blethering again. Here’s the timelapse, I hope you enjoy it!

• By knobby
      Set up Star adventurer mini for a few 60 second  runs with a rough polar align in a very dark area a way from our hotel, only had 12 minutes astro darkness so had to work quickly . It was spookily dark ... Could see the milky way faintly reflected on the ocean.
      As the moon started to clear the mountains a Polish chap appeared with his camera but no tripod so we managed to communicate and I let him put his camera on my Sam.
      Then again as packing up a German chap arrived so we did the same again for him. It was quite interesting trying to explain the Sam and how it worked.
      Here is the one decent image I managed, as you can see when zooming in, focus is off ?
      Still a nice memory of a holiday booked by the wife as it's a beautiful dark island ( coinsided with full moon though)
      Thanks for looking.
      Single Raw file converted with Nikon NX2 and contrast tweaked in CS2. 60 seconds @ F4 and ISO 3200

• By James
      A 25 second exposure from a time-lapse taken over the cloud filled Caldera de Taburiente in La Palma in the Canary Islands. Mars is the red object to the left of the Milky Way. Saturn is in there too but is lost amongst the milky way. The bright lights hidden under the clouds are from the towns of Los Llanos and Tazacorte only about 7-8 miles away as the crow flies but about 90 minutes away by car! 25 sec at f/1.8, 14mm Sigma lens, ISO 3200, Canon 6D. The scene was illuminated by a crescent moon beyond the right of the image.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.