SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The wonders of the constellation Scutum are a multitude. A wealth of bright and dark nebulae populate this area as well as the star clouds that looms large in this close up image.

Once again, an image taken with film. My choice of Fuji Superia 100 color negative provides much sharper stars than transparency films and also offers a wider latitude in exposure. Film's dynamic range brings out the faint details as well as keeping the brighter portions tamed in this single 40 minute exposure. The Pentax 67 with the 165 f/2.8 portrait lens set at f/4 provided the means of capture.

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy.

Scutum_scnr_neat_1280a.jpg

Join me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Nightflyastro

Very very nice!! Who said film was dead, eh?

You must have amazingly dark skies. No background subtraction, no stacking. Phew! If I ran 40 min exposure here I'd have a lovely image of uniform sodium orange.

You must have good tracking too - though the shorter focal length must help.

Thank you all. Stewart, I could probably beat this with a large format chip, but I cannot afford that 20K price tag. So the 1.99 roll of film will have to do. I appreciate your vote of confidence. I do try to make a good image with the older technology.

Mr. Spock. Film images like these do surprise people. I realize most have moved to the new technology, but I can't do work like this with an economical DSLR. There is an aesthetic element to film that just comes out and grabs you. I'm glad to see it is not just me that sees this. My current limitation at present is my scanner. I just can't quite make a professionally quality print with the one I have. In time I may get to that level. Thanks for your kind statement.

Ouroboros. The skies are dark as it is necessary for fine work. I feel for those such as yourself that have to live under the "glow" . I live in paradise. Tracking corrections are done with an electric hand box using a vintage Meade 2080 I purchased in 1983. It is permanently aligned with the pole. It can track quite well with a correction here and there. The longest focal length lens I work with is 300mm, so it is tolerable to hand correct.

I like film as it offers me a different rendition of the Milky Way. Not to disparage digital capture. The new technology is great. I just like the looks of film, as do others. Its all good fun and I am glad to reproduce the frames here on SGL for all to see.

This is a great forum with lots of friendly imagers. Thank you all again for your kind response .

Jim

just goes to show technology cant always be the winner, this puts many digital shots in their place

I agree with this assessment. As technology advances something of value is replaced by convenience. Cameras in phones for example. They are very convenient, but lack the features needed for really good images. They do alright for what they are and they are getting better. This is what Kodak did not count on happening.

Film is a not the greatest medium for much work in astrophotography, such as narrow field at slow f-ratios or planetary imaging. It can be done, but I leave this work to the imagers that do so well with their digital cameras. This is a great advancement in the art. For wide-field work, proper films exposed for the right duration at the ideal f-ratios under ideal conditions render the sky and Milky Way with an aesthetic beauty I find compelling. It matches what I see in my mind what the Milky Way should look like. Images are gentle and not harsh. Highlights are not blown with smooth midtones as well as faint detail rendered in a single exposure.

I appreciate the kudos for my work. I will continue to produce work with these means as long as I can. The days are numbered however. Lets enjoy the time we have left with it and perhaps one day look back at a time when starlight and chemistry, both of which are organic processes, came together for one last, but beautiful period. A period in the first quarter of the 21st century when science and art, silver and starlight, thrived in the humble home of a wayward astrophotographer.

Archived