SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

skywatcher startravel 102 good for imaging?

The 102 in terms of weight will be fine, it wont be too heavy at all. However you will suffer from something called chronic aberration with the 102 that will spoil your photography. Have you suggested a cheap ED refractor at all?

You wont find a decent ED refractor NEW for less than £300. The cheapest starting point that i'd say is the Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro but finding them OTA only is pretty rare, and at F7.5 they're also pretty slow too. Basically the higher the Fstop the less data you are collecting per exposure; you're looking for both good optics and a fast Fstop. F5/F6 is a good. The ED80 from Sky-Watcher is the best start for anyone getting into AP.

When we talk about chronic abberration we're talking about a blue halo that appears around bright objects; the moon, stars etc and is something astrophotographers look to loose in order to produce unblighted photos.

I hate this lack of Edit.

Also you may get some spherical abberation from the objective owing to the diameter and the f number, then throw in the filed will not be flat so the image edges will be poor. You can get field flatteners but they are more costly then the ST 102.

If the ED80 is outside your budget and you want to get started straight away, have a look at the new 130PDS? It should sit okay on an EQ5, it's f/5 and no chromatic abberation to worry about. Now they have put the new DS focuser on it should reach focus with a DSLR without any bother.

Chromatic Abberation, not Chronic - unless it is really bad. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Good God, how did i get it that wrong? I write the correct word in all of my log books so i must have had a tired streak when i wrote that :confused: .

Rik, that's a good idea actually. The 130pds has a short fl and a good fstop - the only problem that i'd see is it's a reflector, but that's more down to opinion that practicality for me. I'd still save an extra months wages and go for a frac.

I used to have an ST102 that I bought as a grab and go, but also tried a bit of imaging with it and yes it did suffer from all the stars having a substantial violet halo.

Maybe start imaging with the ST102. You can buy used for £100ish and sell on later without much loss. Learn your way around imaging.

When you get good enough to have to bother about chromatic aberration, chronic or otherwise, and spherical aberration, and everything else, look at upgrading.

I used to have an ST102. i thought it was a fine scope for the money and took a few phtos through it. Well worth the money.

However, when I put it side by side against a William Optics Megrez 80 it looked awful. There was poor contrast, aberration, etc. But I could have bought a fleet of ST102s for the Megrez cost!

I suspect the aggravation of aligning the EQ5, then accuracy of motor drive may well be bigger issues than scope quality at first.

Imaging is potentially a pastime that consumes lots of time and money. My thought is to get a feel for it with lower cost kit and then decide about upgrading.

Hope this helps, David.

Archived