Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Mr_Si

Hello - new here

Just bought the (first issue?) of "All About Space" - fantastic mag. Re-kindling my hope to start looking at the sky some more and learn more about it.

(Got a planesphere and book for Christmas).

My name's Simon and I live in Lancing in West Sussex. Been to Adur A.S. a couple of times last year. Nice bunch of people.

Was in a field the other night with little light polution, just a camp fire and a clear sky and a few others so it was lovely to see thew night sky so well.

Was able to spot Cassopia but forgot how to look for Pleiades, but it might have been out of view at the time.

Hoping to get myself an SLR for photo taking.

What do you think... 2nd hand EOS 30D on ebay?

Hi Simon and welcome to SGL, I will skip on the camera question as I am sure there will be qutie a few who will recommend what camera they use and its adaptability for night photography :)

John.

Hi Simon & welcome to SGL

Yo, welcome dude, we all need dark and clear skies!

Nick.

Thank you all for your welcome messages!

Just joined another forum too (Cloudy Nights).

Looking forward to seeing the 2nd Full Moon of the month tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be cloudy down in Lancing too much...

Hello and welcome to SGL from me too.

As to cameras, just about any DSLR will do. Keep an eye on ebay for anything being sold as spares or repair with problems with the flash / auto focus / light metering. You don't need any of that for astrophotography so you can pick up a bargain.

Canon are the most popular...

To give you some idea, I sold an astro modified (to be more sensitive to IR) Canon 300D on here boxed with an intervalometer, batteries and memory cards for £100 - and it did not sell quickly! So bargains out there... (you need 50 posts to see the classified section - so get posting!)