Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

PorkyB

Teenagers

I arrived home at 2am this morning with my teenage daughter. We both commented on how clear the sky was and that we could see Jupiter rising above the tall buildings that surround our tiny garden. I asked if she would like to see Jupiter through a scope and she said yes and then requested that we use the big scope (my 200p-EQ5). So we lugged the scope, mount and associated bits out into the garden and set up. She was suitably impressed with Jupiter and I was happy because I got to try out my new BST Explorer 5mm eyepiece. I thought I would push my luck so I asked if she wanted to see anything else.

Well, we stayed in the garden for another hour and an half. In that time she looked at Jupiter, the Andromeda Galaxy, a globular cluster (M15), a few open clusters and double stars in Cassiopeia and my old favourite Pleiades. She said that Jupiter was the most impressive thing to look at but looking at another galaxy was 'spooky'. It can be hard to get the rest of the family interested in astronomy, especially teenagers, so it was a joy to be able to show her so much cool stuff and for her to be obviously enjoying it. She went in at 3:30 as she was too tired to carry on, and then showed her appreciation by bringing her old man out a nice cup of tea. I stayed out for another hour before common sense prevailed and I packed up so I could get some sleep before going to work.

All in all, an excellent night, made better because it was unexpected, made brilliant by sharing it with my lovely girl.

• Like 8

Wow you did well :) Hope my daughter dose somthing simler, it would make for some grate Dad time :)

I suppose that like many things it is a case of not forcing it on her or pushing to join in.

One thing you can say to her is that as the nights are getting longer, so she will be able to stand outside and get cold earlier and for longer wih you if she wants. Sure she will appreciate that. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Nice to hear. Mine aren't old enough to stay up that late during the summer, but I'm hoping we'll be able to get some observing in during the winter. They're both quite interested (in fact my daughter has been pestering me to give her my ST120 now I have the 10" dob :) so I'm hopeful we can spend time observing together as they get older.

James

nice to hear that, hope my little ones do the same soon. my eldest who is 8 keeps asking but the skys dont play along

What a lovely young lady, she is a credit to you. :)

If parents like you take the time to build a relationship, kids' teenage years can be some of the most fulfilling times for both the parent and child. :) It really doesn't have to be full of angst.

I normally set up and about an hour later my 14 year old son appears for a look followed by the daughter and wife , its great when it happens...

nice to have heart-warming stories like this...too much bad news etc in this world...

Great story. Despite popular press teenagers are on the whole pretty ok. They ar sometimes a bit cheeky, daft or ignorant but I probably was when I was one. In fact I still am one (I am thirty fifteen) :grin:

• Like 1