SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Replacement Dec/RA Slow Motion Knobs CG5 / EQ5

Hi Guys

Does anybody know where is the best place to get replacement CG5 slow motion control knobs? My young son decided in his wisdom to start messing with my telescope :( and now one of the knobs has the metal ring inside missing meaning it no longer fits! So far I have found this;

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/SkyWatcher_Slow_Motion_Cable_Set_EQ2_EQ5_AZ3.html

Does anybody have any experience of using these?

I want a like for like replacement but I can't find one online so I guess I would have to talk to Celestron/skywatcher if I did. However if these are better then I might as well get them.

I also did a bit of reasearch prior to posting and come guy came up with using these. A bit left field I know!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometer-knobs/2597039/?searchTerm=259-7039&relevancy-data=636F3D3126696E3D4931384E525353746F636B4E756D6265724D504E266C753D656E266D6D3D6D61746368616C6C26706D3D5E5C647B337D5B5C732D2F255C2E5D5C647B332C347D2426706F3D313426736E3D592673743D52535F53544F434B5F4E554D424552267573743D3235392D373033392677633D4E4F4E4526

Any comments, help or advice most appreciated! :)

Nothing wrong with either recommendation. Except perhaps the difficulty dealing with RS components if you don't have an account.

I don't have a manual CG5 for comparison. But if it is a 6mm diamter shaft, with a flat, it is a standard control knob size - there are others so read the small print. Take a look around an electronics hobby shop near you, or any of the online electronics hobby people, like Maplin. Or look at the 'Farnell' or rapid Electronics' web sites. They will deal with you subject to a minimum order value. You will be spoilt for choice. There are knobs in all shapes sizes and colours.

Then of course, if you wish to change for knobs on the end of a flexible shaft, these are a good solution. I have used them before. They might be a bit clumsy for storage, depending on how you store the mount. Or you might want to remove them each time.

Hope this is useful.

I thought the CG5 was already motorised?

Why not take the opportunity to add a single-axis (or dual axis, the price is not much more) motor drive?

Something like this would probably fit - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq5.html but don't quote me on that.

Only problem with the radio knobs is that they may not fit over the axle, as the flat is usually inset along the shaft slightly so that the knob doesn't slide off accidentally.

The CG5 is (or was) available in manual, motor and goto varieties. It is just the Celestron variant of the EQ5.

'Radio knobs' come in all sorts of fixing varieties.

This problem can be easily solved by using either 6mm shaft with flat, or 6mm round with collet fixing.

The knobs for inset flat types are not that common, and would still fit in this case.

Hope this helps.

David.

Thanks for all the responses guys. :)

I actually managed to find the metal insert piece and put it back in the plastic knob and so I am back up and running again. However I now know what to do if they break again because they are quite flimsy! I think I might invest in the telescoping controls anyway.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I  purchased a Skywatcher NEQ5 and i´m having problem with the stock knobs

The knobs are very hard to fit in the shaft , i tried but i´m worried with the possibility of  damage the mount or the knobs with the pressure, i don´t know how deep it must pushed inside the D shaft. it fits a bit but is very difficult

with the mountI i purchased two flexible knobs but the screw ot the AR axis touch the white plastic around the shaft  and is very difficult to tight with the fingers.

I woul need cut the screw a bit or replace it with a smaller allen screw .

Archived