SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi and hello from Harrow

spektrumdx8

After surfing this site anonymously for about 3mths, decided to join up and will hopefully learn more about this fascinating hobby,

My name is Lenny and I got into this when I was given an old Tasco Luminova for free from one of my patients( I work as a MLA in a private hospital) -really basic scope but came with lots of lenses and stuff and within a couple of weeks, I was hooked !!!!

Hungry for more power, I managed to get from ebay a Meade 4504 with goto handset and tripod- paid £36 :grin: - a right bargain I thought until I discovered the controller didn't work and the motors was making really weird sounds, found the fault in the handset and with the motors stripped and cleaned and powered with a 4s lipo pack,, every-thing's hunky dory- all in all, a very nice scope and manageable to move around,but still not satisfied, I then got last week a Visionary MiraCeti 1400/150, again from ebay for £86- brand spanking new- really nice starter scope with very clear views and very easy to setup and use, next step is to get into Astrophotography as I can combine that with my love of camera's. Got more shopping to do ............... :p

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you are looking for another bargain that will take you further down the road regarding astrophotography, may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you can view here. It's a well written comprehensive guide to what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images that will meet your expectations. It's a real bargain because it will help you save money on avoiding buying the wrong kit and will also help you formulate a realistic budget too. Imaging doesn't have to be expensive, in fact there are plenty of free processing software out there to download that can help turn your collected data into great images but inevitably there are one or two others that will need to be paid for. This book will provide a detailed instructional overview that will help you decide your next step in imaging or as we sometimes call it, the 'dark art'. :grin:

Clear skies for your next bargain and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Lenny and welcome to SGL, you obviously have a big appetite for the subject, the only trouble is it takes deep pockets and a lot of feeding if you venture into AP, the dark side as it is fondly called, good advice from James in that respect :)

John.

Glowjet.

Thanks for the comments- I don't have deep pockets, just an eye for a bargain !! and I don't think I've spent that much so far because I'm also in 3d RC Helicopters,,,,,,

Now THATS expensive :Envy:

I noticed your name was spektrum - I have a Spektrum DX 6i, I use it for an Axial SCX 10 rock crawler and also Blade msr, though I am not particularly good with either!

I have had more success with astronomy, it all moves at a more sedentary pace. :p

Yeah, I've been into rc stuff for the last 30 yrs- did boats,cars, and had a lot of success with F3A Aerobatics,,,

Reading between the lines,so to speak, I've noticed a lot of people also have a pair of binoculars alongside with their scopes,

What would be a suitable make/size to have?

Archived