SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

RIP Neil Armstrong

GJBC

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only got to know it this morning from my mother's post on Facebook.

Very very sad!

He was my childhood hero since I was 6 or something, when I randomly found a picture of the first moon landing on the page of an Encyclopedia and asked my mother about it.

This should be the picture:

1360496-3x2-700x467.jpg

She told me that he was Armstrong, the first person ever to walk on another world. And she told me that when she was 9 she saw the first landing live on TV, with the whole family. She had great memories about that event. Armstrong became my hero and it sparked my interest on Astronomy, associated with a strong desire to explore, and to see with my own eyes

what's like out there. I dreamed about becoming an Astronaut and to walk on the moon like Armstrong did. I even had posters of Armstrong on the moon in my bedroom. And still today, after many years, I wanted to see him live and get his autograph.

This news shocked me.

He will always be one of the greatest sources of inspiration to me and I hope his myth will spark enthusiasm on the exploration of the universe forever.

Rest In Peace.

I remember, as a 19 year old , staying up in the early hours of the morning, to watch the black and white TV broadcast of Neil Armstrong descending the ladder on the side of the'Eagle'. In 1969, I had just become an undergraduate at Manchester University and shared the desire to push boundaries and explore an expanding and changing Universe. Now, as an old man, it gives me great pleasure that my oldest grandson, who has grown up in 'electronic times' where computer generated images display the unreal acheivements of 'virtual heroes', recognises and has a poster of Neil Armstrong, 'The First Man to walk on the Moon'.

What a role model!

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/armstrong_obit.html

For me he was the first and possibly the last great pioneering hero. A sad day .

That's a bit unfair for Buzz Aldrin who is still alive. He may be the second to step off the ladder, but that doesn't make his less of an hero. Without his help Neil Armstrong would not be on the moon. Don't forget Yuri either, it was unfortunate he die young in a plane crash, but first to achieve orbit was just as great, if not greater, achievement as the moon landing.

That's a bit unfair for Buzz Aldrin who is still alive. He may be the second to step off the ladder, but that doesn't make his less of an hero. Without his help Neil Armstrong would not be on the moon. Don't forget Yuri either, it was unfortunate he die young in a plane crash, but first to achieve orbit was just as great, if not greater, achievement as the moon landing.

I dont think this thread is the right place to start debating the logistics of the mission. All i will say is that there was a crew of 3 men that day: Aldrin,Armstrong and Collins (in alphabetical order to show no preference to any).

Aldrin (also known as Captain Trajectory): Put the Eagle on the Lunar surface "manually" with seconds to spare before the fuel tanks ran dry and they would have had to do a crash landing and perhaps neither himself or Armstrong would/could have survived.

Armstrong was the mission commader and i believe purely because of the seating arranngements in the Eagle lander, was the first man out. History has recorded this moment and Armstrong WAS the first human ever to set foot on another world.

Collins (i feel), is the unsung hero of that mission. He remained in orbit around the Moon and he was the one that got Buzz and Neil back home safely.

All 3 people on that mission are Heros,pioneers,inspirations. Without all 3 of them working together, it simply would not have happened.

All 3 men are equal in their contribution to makind.

But we are here to mourne the loss of the man which history has recorded as the 1st human to set foot on another celestial body.

I love the statement/sentiment by Neil's family released to the press: "The next time you look up and see the Moon smiling down at you,give it a wink and think of Neil".

RIP Neil Armstrong.

He and the Apollo team inspired so many people and made thousands of them young and old want to take up the hobby we all share today.

He will never be forgotten.

D.C

Hi,

I remember been woken by my Dad in the middle of the night to watch Neil stand on the moon. One of my earlier memories. A great man, backed by a great team who contributed to the world we live in today. He will be sadly missed.

Add my vote to a crater named after him.

Archived