Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RIP Neil Armstrong

GJBC

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a great shame that in his passing he was aware that his President had scrapped the current space program, although a quite man by all accounts, this must have been a devastating blow to a man who had achieved so much for his country. RIP Neil :(

John.

I've been watching the news for anything about a proper state funeral for this man who was a hero to so many - sadly, nothing yet has been announced, not even a Presidential proclamation that there will be a national day of mourning or that all flags should be flown at half-staff in his honor.

I certainly hope that the White House will correct this oversight - I think I will die of shame if the rest of the world honors the passing of our most famous native son more than we do here at home. President Reagan got these honors when he passed away a few years ago, certainly Neil Armstrong deserves no less.

I have no idea of what the wishes of the family are, but if there is any drive to help put some of Neil's ashes on the Moon, I will certainly support it. Strangely, I think Mr. Armstrong would probably be adverse to the idea of all the fuss. When asked by CBS News what it was like to go to the Moon and walk on the surface, he said: "It was certainly interesting. I would recommend it." When asked later how he felt about his foot prints, which would be on the Moon for many thousands of years, he replied: "I hope someone else will eventually get up there and clean them up."

This man's humility was as great as his accomplishments.

Neil Armstrong's sad death will be one of those events which will be in "I remember exactly where I was when I heard news" category.

I feel extremely privileged to have been a tiny (seven year old) part of the huge global audience in July 1969 when Apollo 11 landed. For most of my life, Neil has been there as a fantastic example of bravery, professionalism and modesty, and, although he famously kept a very low profile, he will be greatly missed.

I can't think of anyone else who so personifies the word "hero".

I am so sad to hear of Neil`s passing, my thoughts are with his family and friends, i found this on another forum and found it to be a fitting epitaph

I would like to share a quote from another forum

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive (in the words of the No. 1 song on July 20, 1969), nobody will remember who Barack Obama was. Nobody will remember who Osama Bin Laden was. Nobody will remember who Ronald Reagan was. Nobody will remember who John F. Kennedy was. Nobody will remember who Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson or Frank Sinatra was.

But, in the year 2525, if man is still alive, they'll remember who Neil Armstrong was."

I feel as though this really represents his achievement

One of my childhood heroes, I was lucky enough to have to have witnessed every moon landing on TV and the Apollo missions inspired lots of people to look beyond earth.

One small step for man......one giant leap for mankind.

RIP Neil you will always be remembered in history.

A great and modest man, when speaking of having to take over control of the lander and choose a spot to land said it was just the training kicking in, then returning to

teach and try to lead an ordinary life.

RIP Neil

Dave

Archived