Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 11th july 05

OXO

9849num1-med.jpg

Took this image last night after much a Do, it's 20 frames of 20secs with the 102st and toucam.

I found the seeing to be about 6/10 there was a slight white hue to the sky but was quite steady. The effects of light pollution around my area tends to washout m27 at the moment i find other dso's like m57 to be brighter :shock: .

James

The magnitude values will be on the assumption that the light from each object is condensed into a single point of light. Don't forget that, although M27 has a higher value, its light is spread out across a wider area.

Hmmm...... my book A Visual Atlas of Deep Sky Objects by Roger N Clark seems also to contradict my last post. The mean surface brightness for the Ring is given as 17.9 magnitudes per square arc-second whereas the Dumbell's mean surface brightness is only given as

20.8 magnitudes per square arc-second.

BTW this book is an excellent guide to the visual appearance of the better known DSO's. A real pleasure to read! :)

A Visual Atlas of Deep Sky Objects by Roger N Clark i will keep a keen eyeout for that andy prob need to order it through a book seller though.....

I would still maintain it's the light pollution and at what angle its coming from(degree's etc) could be completely wrong but there you go..

James

it's the similar situation with M101 and M51.

M101 Mag 8.5 size 46'

M51 Mag 8 Size 18'

M51 is an easy object to spot at the EP, but I've never managed to even find M101. Yet their magnitudes are almost the same.

I would say that IMO M57 is much brighter, but it's due to be more compact and having a higher contrast.

Ant

Amazingly i've actually seen M101 from the backgarden, the night i imaged it. Even more amazing was how easy it popped into view. The other strange thing that night I couldn't find M63. Yet i've found M63 countless times and pretty easy object. Just couldn't find it.

I think you're right Ant, M57 is a bit brighter and one of the easiest objects to find.

Russ

Archived