Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nebulas to find for beginner help

I have a 90mm MAK and pretty bad air quality/light pollution but found the dark fuzzy gray Ring Nebula last night for the first time.

What nebulas should I look for next with what I have to work with? On my list so far is the dumbbell, lagoon, bubble, iris, and snowball nebs. What do you all recommend?

WEll done on finding that ring nebula..I would suggest you go for the dumbell next...Its also overhead in the evenings and pretty bright. I saw it last night with my 80mm binoculars. Of course the Orion nebula is the one to see but you need to get up in the morning or wait a few months for that one.

Do try a few galaxies..Try M81/82 above the Plough to the west and of course the Andromeda galaxy rising in the NE!

And why not try M15 in front of Pegasus..A ball of stars!

Finally look at Albeiro the double star at the bottom of Cygnus and enjoy the colours!

Mark

If you want a constant list of objects to observe you could do no better than invest in a copy of The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, a 500 odd page paperback that helps you locate and find some of the most popular objects in each of the 88 Constellations, with photos of what you can expect to see together with star maps and diagrams :)

John.

Archived