SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon 30D zoom lense advise please.

i Drew

Hiya gazers, just need help here on which zoom lense I should go with for my old Canon eos 30D.my budget is $200 and I was looking on two zoom lense...

1. Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-4-0-5-6-Telephoto-Digital/dp/B0011NVMO8

2. Sigma APO 70-300mm http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B000ALLMI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345831608&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+70-300

Both are of same price range but for now I'm leaning towards the Canon 55-250. I'm planning to piggy back my 30D on my nexstar 6se and image the moon and some dso . Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

Avoid the Sigma for astrowork , I bought one for my 1000D and although it's a fine bit of glass it has a very "loose" zoom action.

When pointed above about 40 degrees the zoom creeps dramatically , when pointed near the zenith it will go from 300 to 70 in a matter of seconds . . .

I took mine back to WEX and we checked out about ten of them in their stock and they were all identical .

Real shame as it's a much nicer lens than the cheap Canon 75-300 apart from that . .

Steve.

I didn't spend hard earned on a lens to spend forever faffing around with bits of sticky tape in order to get it to work . . . . :p

The Canon lens I replaced it with has never shifted fl even during a 4hr near vertical assault on M31 . . .

Steve.

Archived