Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

homebrew lx200 compatible autoguider

bugle

The auto guiding preps have progressed well.

Tonight have prototyped an lx200 command compatible autoguider project. Using an attiny2313, relays (what i had available, might upgrade to optocoupled transistors) to switch eq3-2 hand controller switches shoestring style.

LX200 commands implemented are:

:Mn# slew north

:Me# slew east

:Ms# slew south

:Mw# slew west

:Qn# stop north

:Qe# stop east

:Qs# stop south

:Qw# stop west

:Q# stop all

Focuser commands to follow...

If anyone is interested in a write up, code or possibly programmed uCs let me know... I may do a layout and etch some boards also... Other upgrade would be swap the MAX232 for an FTDI and power from usb, does anybody know of a through hold usb/serial ic? One of the FTDI leads with the chip moulded into the usb plug is also an option but at ~£15 pushes the costs up...

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on a write up of this guider, other things just getting in the way... As an update, I have swapped the relays for a Darlington array ic and done some testing connected to the mount (eq3-2). Results are promising, I have also connected to the guider using wxastrocapture and it responds to the guide commands.

It was getting native support from wxastrocapture that was the main reason for building the guider, this will enable me to guide from linux ;)

I did some kicad work and have board artwork ready to produce a test board...

Have you thought about having a pic or arduino doing the image prcessing job and doing away with the pc altogether ?

sort of like the autoguider you see on the adverts but pluggable into most standard USB webcams rather than providing its own.

I have been thinking about this and I don't care if the update rate is low - say once every 1 to 4 secs as long as it can read an image, identify a star and track it , you only need your pc then to test the usb interface and as a debug uart..

In terms of do-ability - the Microchip libraries support composite USB devices on an 18F or 24 F device,

Operating at 32MHz need to read a 1/4 Mbyte image (2 Mbit ) into local memory, load it, find teh peak signals , discriminate and track.

Anyone done anything like this ?

Mike

Archived