Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

From the wisp to the broom (Ha mosaic)

This is my first real attempt at doing a mosaic this size, but I thought the Veil would be a good place to practice since I already had one decent panel for it. I have to say its quite tricky trying to stitch stuff together when you have rotation, also I dont use EQMOD and therefore no facility to automate the process of moving the mount. So I end up trying to match up star patterns, which gets a bit tricky when imaging in Ha - even more so when youre doing it over multiple nights.

One thing from last night that has been a revelation is a tiny bit of software called polarfinder, its as easy as "put polaris where it tells you to" based on your current time and location. Really useful for someone like me who has no obsy and has to set up from scratch for every session, that small utility combined with further refinement using the handset PA routine probably gave me my best PA so far with the NEQ6. Shame I didnt discover it earlier, it would be great if there was an android version (preferably free).

Im still mulling over whether to add OIII to this, it might be something I can try while I wait for M31 to climb a bit more (have a mosaic planned for that one too!).

NGC6979 (Pickerings Triangle/Wisp), NGC6960 (Witches broom)

9x600s (Ha) per pane, 4 panes

ED80 (0.85x), Atik 314L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -10

Calib: Flats and Bias

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=70468

post-5513-0-68263300-1345746030_thumb.jp

Nice one!

I have my Ha in a filter wheel, so I dial in a lum filter for aligning the panels, that way I can do 1 second captures on a loop and find out where I am and where to go next, then switch to Ha for the image

Thanks Martin, now why didnt I think of that! I had an L filter in the wheel too... doh!

I'll put that down to a "senior moment" :rolleyes:

Although, I may be guilty of being slightly under the influence of a couple of drinkies while in control of the mount :p

Rob, it's a great mosaic, and I would encourage you to add the OIII - as you know this adds beautiful interweaving red/blue colours into the image. A couple of panels to the lower right also captures some nice detail in this region, so maybe extend over there if time allows.

Very nice, Rob! Nice and sharp. You've got plenty of panels left to get the whole thing done! Quite a task for those of us without observatories!

it would be great if there was an android version (preferably free).

Oh but there is! It's called PolarFinder and I use it every time to polar align :)

WOW! That's wonderful :) Great detail - lovely :)

Very nice, Rob! Nice and sharp. You've got plenty of panels left to get the whole thing done! Quite a task for those of us without observatories!

Oh but there is! It's called PolarFinder and I use it every time to polar align :)

Thats what I thought, but when I went to the website the download link was broken. And when I went to the android marketplace, the only one available is the paid version :(

Im probably going to reprocess this one later tonight because when I viewed it on the 22" monitor, the noise was quite noticeable. Perhaps if I could grab more subs for each pane I can employ sigma clipping rather than the average setting used when stacking.