Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon's & Magic Lantern

Ewan

It doesn't like to play ball with my 1100d. Says needs firmware update though it is 1.0.5. Anyway.

The SD card (16GB so not too big) I have copied the ML files so now I have files on the root of the SD card and also an ML folder packed with files etc. off the root.

Is this how your card looks please or did you unpack the ML folder into the root of the SD card directly.

The instructions are fairly rudementry. Will go some more reading but don't feel in a desperate need to stuff camera up installing the Canon firmware again.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My good friend uses ML all the time and loves it. He uses it all the time for making his night sky time lapse videos. He keeps telling me to download it for my 1100D but I'm not to sure I want all that stuff on my camera. With my luck it would screw something up.

I run it on my 5D MK III thgere are usually videos on Youtube on how to install it on most models -  for example (at least the build I am using)  on the 5D III needs to run it from SD rather then CF...

It does slow down the booting a bit  but lots of useful features....

Peter...

It doesn't like to play ball with my 1100d. Says needs firmware update though it is 1.0.5. Anyway.

The SD card (16GB so not too big) I have copied the ML files so now I have files on the root of the SD card and also an ML folder packed with files etc. off the root.

Is this how your card looks please or did you unpack the ML folder into the root of the SD card directly.

The instructions are fairly rudementry. Will go some more reading but don't feel in a desperate need to stuff camera up installing the Canon firmware again.

Kat i will take a look at mine & let you know but as far as i remember you copy the ml files straight onto the card & off it goes.

You dont need to 'install' Canon FW as its not over written, you just take the card out & its a plain old Canon again.

• 6 months later...

i love magic lantern on my t3i i even made a custom double crosshair crop mask for help aligning stars dead center. it's not the most advanced but it does it's job. adjusting the live view fps is a great tool as well. 

here are actual images of the crop mask and fps mod in action you can see orion developing. it really helps to center in a dso when you can see it. you can use the trapezium on orion but for other ones it is a game changer. the only thing i have noticed about changing the fps is my shutter remote takes a few clicks to activate the shutter i just turn the fps back to stock when i'm ready to start imaging. it was freezing tonight and i didn't even think to use the intervalometer but my guider was off a bit in the ne regions so i had to watch it anyway. 

post-42561-0-59642900-1424937035_thumb.j

post-42561-0-60947900-1424937041_thumb.j

Archived