Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon's & Magic Lantern

Ewan

Hi everyone just thought i would pop this here in case anyone with a Canon did not know about it, Magic Lantern that is.

You can download it from here >>> http://www.magiclantern.fm/releasenotes, i hope it's ok to post a link mod's ?

This little bit of 'software' allows your Canon to do so much more than standard, a quote from a you tube video said 'this will turn your £600 camera into one costing £2000', not sure about that but the advanced features it enables is stunning, some would be handy for astrophotograpy i'm sure.

If you have ever wanted to take shots of lightning ? now you can without buying a Lightning Trigger, just tell your camera to shoot on Exposure change & when it strikes....bob's your uncle your Canon will get that shot, want to know what particular part of a pic is over / under exposed .now you can see it all, HDR video, Rack Focusing, Movement Detection etc.

It really is an amazing bit of coding & it's free, 100% stable, you do NOT flash the firmware at all, you just format your card, copy the files then run it on the camera, next time you restart it just runs alongside the existing Canon Menus using the Trash button to bring the menu's up, swap your memory card & it's gone, it's that easy.

I'm still trying things out with it & i'm by no means a pro at all but i thought you guys might like to know it's there & it's free, something Canon should have done :-)

If you take the plunge & get it let me know how you get on with it & thanks for reading.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I may try this. I'll read up on it some more, but if the ISO boost works as advertised, then that would be worth it alone. If the iso levels work, then I can get shots of Uranus and Neptune by using live view instead of shutter.

I wondered about the 1100d as well, but in the OP first post he says if you swap the card its gone. As the 1100d only has one sd card it may not work. Does it only work with dual card cams.?

The op is referring to the firmware file that needs to be on the SD card, if the firmware is also copied onto a 2nd card then the magic lantern features will still be usable with the 2nd card. If the 2nd card doesn't have the firmware the magic lantern features are removed.

It is important to read and understand the installation procedure very thoroughly to avoid any problems with use of the magic lantern modification

I got ML installed and it works as advertised, will be interesting to see how it performs. I'll keep updating in this thread, so hopefully the clouds will stay away tonight so I can attempt Uranus. I'll keep my .avi's below 30 seconds so I don't overheat my sensor with the advanced iso. By just scrolling through the settings, the ISO can be advanced to above 2 million with the multipliers. (Not that I'd ever need it.)

It also allows you to increase the F/L from 4.2 to 32. might be a fun little toy. My biggest concern is bricking my camera, so I'm taking it slow.

I used ML for a short while after I got my 550D, it does have some nice features but I wasn't keen on the user interface, but the main reason I stopped using it was becuase my camera had locked up a couple of times with it, which was more than enough for me to remove it.

It's a real shame Canon don't provide an API for users to add their own software to the camera, much like they do with their PC SDK.

i decided to give it a go, works ok on my 60d, i'm still messing with it to see what it does, seems to be a movie makers add on but there are some bits i will have fun with, the ghost image feature looks like it may be useful for setting up image stacks(yes i know i have no idea what i'm talking about lol) and i cant wait to go and see my mate with his band(jersey budd, check him out), mixed pics and movies will useful.

had to format my 64gb card with a prog called 'EOScard' to get camera to find ML ,then i just copied all files from 16gb card over to 64gb (you only need .fir file for your camera and you dont need the pdfs on your card)

hope this helps:)

nick

Hi all, sorry ive not replied lost track of posts, my bad, the FPS overide is a neat one to try. IF it does lock up just turn off camera , remove battery, fit battery & restart it's that simple, i have not heard of anyone 'bricking' their camera either.

If you are into 'normal' photography the other features arew brilliant ie focus rack, HDR etc

The first thing I did after getting a 550D was putting ML on it and now I can't live without it, so many handy features.

I still haven't even tried using it with astro mainly since I don't have a decent scope.

• 1 year later...

I've been using it on my 550D for over two years without a problem, and wouldn't go without it now.

For astronomy there's some useful focus tools and the bulb ramping feature makes for some great automatic time lapses of sunsets, from daytime to milkyway.

The audio and motion triggers are great fun too, useful for wildlife and lightning..etc

Reading up I am a little confused which build to pick to use, if you have any pointers to which to download would be gratefully received.

1100d

Btw Kat thought i would let you know i have just formatted my card with the 'older' ML on it & reinstalled the new 2.3V & it worked fine.

Archived