Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

russellhq

Canon EOS 1100D/Rebel T3

34 posts in this topic

This thread is confusing me :)

Are you saying an image taken at 18mm is the same field of view of one taken with a 50mm lens ?

Canon's own figures for the 18 / 55 lens give the two extremes as 74* at 18mm and 27* at 55mm.

Someone or something is reporting incorrectly.

Having imaged at both 18mm and 50mm I can ease your mind and say the two fields of view are nothing like.

Dave.

Thanks dave, but that's pretty much what we are saying. James took the image in the upper left of the overlay above at 18mm with his 18-55mm lens, whereas another member took the lower right image with the canon 50mm prime lens: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/158833-first-attempt-with-dss/

They both appear to have similar FOV's and that's why we are confused :confused:

Thanks for the link.

I now feel it's " Someone " that's wrong.

That image is what I would expect to see from an 18mm lens. A 50mm lens will do Orion and a bit to spare.

Dave.

I've dropped the poster of the second image a PM to see if (s)he can confirm the settings used. Meanwhile I'm going to try to work out the field of view from another image I've taken that doesn't suffer from LP.

James

Settings and lens, obviously. Doh.

James

I think your 18mm settings are ok James.

Dave.

Measuring off another of my 18mm images, which is a little tricky, 74 degrees doesn't look unreasonable as a figure for the field of view across the diagonal.

James

I've dropped the poster of the second image a PM to see if (s)he can confirm the settings used. Meanwhile I'm going to try to work out the field of view from another image I've taken that doesn't suffer from LP.

The poster has responded saying that theirs is in fact an 18mm focal length image and not 50mm at all. That's that cleared up then :)

I'm not sure about committing to the 50mm lens now. I might have a look around to see what's about around the 20mm mark. I don't even care if it's an old lens that has to be used on manual, for fairly obvious reasons. Be nice to see some 50mm wide field images posted for comparison though.

James