SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

With only a small window of the sky, (due to camping in a small forest clearing) which was basically a limited view of the "Summer Triangle", I was very fortunate to witness five meteors within five minutes of each other close to midnight on Saturday/Sunday 18th/19th August.

Knowing the peak of the Kappa Cygnids was the previous night I was hoping to spot maybe the odd one, however it was quite a spectacle to get a small shower display - particularly as once the first was spotted, interest from other people gained, and almost instantly their sudden interest was rewarded.

Not all the meteors appeared to have the same radiant, but as all appeared within the small section of sky it seemed likely they were Kappa Cygnids. After the racy five minutes, I was able to just view the spectacle of a fabulous dark sky with the Milky Way visible and rather a lot of satellites buzzing by for the next hour or so whilst I polished off some excellent wine on the comfortable warm night by a softly burning campfire! No better way to witness one of the best displays on Earth.

Archived