Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally...First Galaxy and Nebula :)

Dan Watts

Finally got the scope out last night...I'd actually gotten into bed and just couldn't rest knowing there were clear skies out there! I got back out of bed and went out! I believe I am turning into a true astronomer because of this! haha :)

Perfect conditions in regards to light pollution...No Moon or planets etc - It was finally time to try my luck with clusters, nebula and galaxies...I have never really looked for them and was itching.

I cracked out the Star Walk App on the iPad and ventured outside...I wish I had a guided scope but I guess some of the fun is star walking and using stars as references then all of a sudden there it is!

Firstly I tried my luck with M51 Whirlpool Galaxy but for the life of me, tried my best to find it with no luck...was a bit gutted - How big would this look, am I looking for a smudge or is it quite apparent with a 35mm EP? Maybe I needed to use the Baader Zoom on 24mm...Shame the field view is re

Not losing hope, I searched for M57 Ring Nebula - I don't own a UHC or OIII Filter so didn't hold much hope but low and behold, a grey smoke ring popped into view...Was able to make out the hole with averted vision...Def need a nebula filter! :)

Lastly, saw M31 Andromeda Galaxy...there was a little fog when I found this just above the Andromeda Constellation...Could only really make out the smudge of the Galaxy, this was mainly due to fog and I think my scope was slightly out of collimation.

I managed to find a couple of Star Clusters but with not having any wide view eyepieces I couldn't really marvel at them.

Just from last night's viewing, I know I need some wide view EP's (think I may invest in the Nirvana's) and def a UHC and OIII Filter...I can't decide which size to get with the filters though...I think I may go down the 2" route as the Baader Zoom has the 2" attachment...aghhh decision! :)

Congrats on that. M51 can be tricky. In good skies it stands out even in a 10x50 finder scope, as a little smudge. It does not need much magnification but the best views are at about 100x in my scope (I use the 22mm Nagler and 17mm Nagler for most galaxies, yielding 93x and 119x in my C8).

Thank you for the comments :)

I just wanted to share my viewing as it was the best one i have had in the 6 months of having the scope...I have never looked for galaxies etc, only seeing orion's a little when i first had the scope.

I think M51 was a little too low by the time i went out to look at it, maybe the light pollution affected the viewing of that...or i just didn't find it, prob the latter :rolleyes:

Yep, congratulations, sounds like it was worth getting out of the scratch! Hope I can follow in your footsteps (with the successful target acquisition, that is)!!

As long as you have your patience in check, the rest will fall into place ;)

When you first see another galaxy it is a remarkable feeling.

The ring nebula is one of my favourites as it is easy to find and and a great example of how averted vision brings out more detail in an object.

P.S Isn't the Andromeda galaxy M31?

When you first see another galaxy it is a remarkable feeling.

The ring nebula is one of my favourites as it is easy to find and and a great example of how averted vision brings out more detail in an object.

P.S Isn't the Andromeda galaxy M31?

Yeah, it's great when it comes into view :)

I accidentally put M57 twice, I had the Ring Nebula on my brain! :)

Nice report Dan. Some great objects within. The Whirlpool galaxy (M51) as said can be tricky from any LP site.

TBH I seldom use a nebula filter on bright nebs like M57 as its really bright and the filter doesn't add much on these. Where it comes into its own is the really faint nebulae invisible without it. This is where it can really make a huge difference.

I would go with a 2" filter when you are ready to invest. As most small nebulae that you'll be using 1.25" eyepieces on are the brighter ones. The huge faint diffuse nebulae is where I use a filter the most these are best seen with wide angle 2" eyepieces IMO.

Nice report Dan. Some great objects within. The Whirlpool galaxy (M51) as said can be tricky from any LP site.

TBH I seldom use a nebula filter on bright nebs like M57 as its really bright and the filter doesn't add much on these. Where it comes into its own is the really faint nebulae invisible without it. This is where it can really make a huge difference.

I would go with a 2" filter when you are ready to invest. As most small nebulae that you'll be using 1.25" eyepieces on are the brighter ones. The huge faint diffuse nebulae is where I use a filter the most these are best seen with wide angle 2" eyepieces IMO.

Thank you so much for your reply - I am trying to figure out the whole filter thing, which one, sizes etc...I was def swaying towards the 2" versions of both, but had the 1.25" tugging at me (I think this was mainly due to the fact I had to zoom in to see the Ring Nebula...I can imagine diffuse nebula looks amazing on a wide field EP!! Oh 28mm Nirvana where art thou Nirvana! Might have to be nice to the other half with Xmas approaching ;)

Thank you all for your help and comments! :grin:

Oddly enough, I much prefer an unfiltered view of M57 !

Looks far nicer a pale dusky grey than the filtered green, plus to be honest it's the one planetary nebula that to me doesn't really show that much more detail filtered anyway. :smiley:

Nice report Dan !

M51 is pretty small compared with M31 - it appears to me though my 4" scope as two faint patches of light, more condensed in the centre and one a little larger than the other - rather like a pair of ghostly "eyes" looking back at you !

Wide field eyepieces are great for the larger deep sky objects but many benefit from a larger image scale too so it's great to be able to switch to medium or even high power on some objects. M57 looks fabulous (unfiltered) on a dark night at 200x with my 10" newtonian.

On the Hyperion zoom - the 2" barrel is supplied as a convenience - it's always a 1.25" eyepiece even with the larger barrel fitted.

Oddly enough, I much prefer an unfiltered view of M57 !

Looks far nicer a pale dusky grey than the filtered green, plus to be honest it's the one planetary nebula that to me doesn't really show that much more detail filtered anyway. :smiley:

I didn't realise it gave a green tinge to the view when filtered - Not having used a UHC or OIII filter before, I will keep this in mind though, think I might go for the UHC first then OIII at a later date :)

Nice report Dan !

M51 is pretty small compared with M31 - it appears to me though my 4" scope as two faint patches of light, more condensed in the centre and one a little larger than the other - rather like a pair of ghostly "eyes" looking back at you !

Wide field eyepieces are great for the larger deep sky objects but many benefit from a larger image scale too so it's great to be able to switch to medium or even high power on some objects. M57 looks fabulous (unfiltered) on a dark night at 200x with my 10" newtonian.

On the Hyperion zoom - the 2" barrel is supplied as a convenience - it's always a 1.25" eyepiece even with the larger barrel fitted.

I guess, with my 8" on a good night, I should be able to see M57 quite easily then...I think I must have drifted straight past it the other night, haha.

I def need a wider view on my current 2" eyepiece, it is only 54° I think and the Baader Zoom is not much better at 24mm! A nice 82° would do very nicely and probably tip my scope over as well!! ;) Better crack the counter weights out! lol.

As you mention about the 2" barrel, I use the adapter supplied with it to use it with the 2" barrel, it def saves time when switching beteween that and the other 2" EP i have :)

Based on that though, I think I will get the 2" version of the UHC - Might treat myself when I get paid ;)

An 8" is more than adequate. My 80mm can give good views (I used 48x magnification and easily resolved the ring), and I have seen it readily in my old school's 70mm achromat.

I bet the view is equally amazing with your EP's as well! That's an impressive set! :)

Quite a few secondhand ones there. Took some time to put together, haven't been able to use the XWs yet.

I can imagine the views of the planets they will give will be second to non! Hopefully, I will get to a star party or a meet in the future and can look through someone's scope with one fo those in to see what the fuss is about :)

Hi Dan

Sounds like you are finding your way around the sky nicely, have fun.

I may be stating the obvious, but I see lots of references to people using smartphones and tablets whilst trying took find feint fuzzy dso's. The two don't really go together as your eyes will not get properly adapted to the dark even in red light or night modes. Have a go using a star atlas, or print maps off the internet plus a dim red torch, it makes a big difference.

It can take half an hour, possibly more to gain full night vision and you will have better success I think. As an example of this, I tried for the Veil nebula a couple of nights running. First night I had been using my phone and a torch about half an hour before, could only see the eastern veil. Next time I got properly adapted over a few hours and could see the whole lot, very subtle but my eyes were able to pick it out, very satisfying.

As has been said, M51 is quite small and faint. I was able to see the surrounding disks of light in a four inch refractor the other night from a nice dark site. Maybe try some of the globulars, M13, M92 to get more practise finding the feint stuff.

Enjoy :D

Stu

Hi Dan

Sounds like you are finding your way around the sky nicely, have fun.

I may be stating the obvious, but I see lots of references to people using smartphones and tablets whilst trying took find feint fuzzy dso's. The two don't really go together as your eyes will not get properly adapted to the dark even in red light or night modes. Have a go using a star atlas, or print maps off the internet plus a dim red torch, it makes a big difference.

It can take half an hour, possibly more to gain full night vision and you will have better success I think. As an example of this, I tried for the Veil nebula a couple of nights running. First night I had been using my phone and a torch about half an hour before, could only see the eastern veil. Next time I got properly adapted over a few hours and could see the whole lot, very subtle but my eyes were able to pick it out, very satisfying.

As has been said, M51 is quite small and faint. I was able to see the surrounding disks of light in a four inch refractor the other night from a nice dark site. Maybe try some of the globulars, M13, M92 to get more practise finding the feint stuff.

Enjoy :D

Stu

Hey Stu,

Appreciate the info, totally agree with the iPad etc being used - When I was hunting the other night it almost blinded me everytime i turned it back on to get the app on, even though I have it set to night mode, it's still bright!

I actually have loads of Astronomy books + the infamous Turn Left at Orion - I wil be honest, I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of information in that book but of recent, have really tried to get my head around it...especially in terms of the stars that surround certain objects and how to use them to help spot things etc.

I will def take what you said on board - I have a red torch so i could maybe pick out a few objects prior to going out and spend some time with them...I think I actually try and find too much in such a small space of time! :rolleyes:

I will actually have a look at the ones you have mentioned (Globulars) and go from there with the star guide from the book.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it was a great help.

Dan :grin:

No problem, sounds like a plan :D. The globulars are fairly bright (relatively speaking) and are very rewarding to observe.

Although your pupils dilate fairly quickly after looking at bright lights and you begin to see better, the light sensitive receivers in your eyes take a long time to fully adjust.

I would probably pick one area or a couple of objects and really concentrate on finding them and spending time looking to really see the detail. I must confess to disliking the term ' bagging dso's' because it could imply that a five minute look means you have seen all there is to see. This is certainly true of some things which are so feint that it's literally a case of detecting it, confirming that you've got the right object and moving on. Others though will give up more detail if you keep looking over a longer period, and come back to them again and again.

Good luck

Stu

I can imagine the views of the planets they will give will be second to non! Hopefully, I will get to a star party or a meet in the future and can look through someone's scope with one fo those in to see what the fuss is about :)

I already had the XF 8.5, and it is just superb. I hope to check out the XWs on the moon shortly.

Archived