Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun 20-8-2012 Ha + prominences

GlassWalker

gallery_22006_1948_264310.jpg

Today's sun... all images are 100% crops from DMK41. Best 10% of 1000+ frames.

gallery_22006_1948_111037.png

Thought I'd have a go at the prominences close up. Far from easy... since I don't have any workable barlows at the moment, I decided to use eyepiece projection with a Hyperion to T-mount to DSLR to C-mount... this was my first capture of the prominences around 4 o'clock of the disc. I blew the surface here...

gallery_22006_1948_46850.jpg

Here I moved over to the prominences around 8 o'clock of the disc. I fiddled a bit more with the video settings and managed to get both prominences and surface detail at the same time.

Side note: I find when I stick more glass in the chain, I can get a diagonal stripe appearing near the centre of the image. It seems to be due to the optical chain, but I'm at a loss as to what causes it, or what could be done to eliminate it.

Now I'm wondering if I can get better detail out of a regular PST (single stack), or would there be better gains from going DS or a stage 1 mod to bigger aperture scope...

Hi,

Does your DMK41 come in to focus with a barlow? Did you need to modify your PST eyepiece holder?

I think your lines are due to diffraction between the filter in the PST and the glass. I seem to get them when using colour cameras (Bayer Matrix) on my PST, but they disappear on a DMK with no glass in the way.

It might be the coatings on your Hyperion which is causing the problem.

My DMK can't reach focus on the PST even with the short shoulder less nose piece without modification. Previously I have used a barlow element, but the 1st pic above was done by shaving the eyepiece holder. Two close up shots were via eyepiece projection.

Archived