sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Storing your scope.

I keep mine in the corner of the office so that I can admire it all day and I keep the binoculars by the

French doors.

I can't move the telescope though as its too heavy so I can only use it when my son carries it out into the garden for me. Therefore the binoculars get used more!

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I keep my kit in the fourth reception room in the lower east wing. From there its only a short distance out onto the lawns. Unfortunately the servants quarters overlook this side of the house so I alw

I keep my SkyWatcher 130M in a golf travel holdall. The wheely type designed to hold a golf club bag full of clubs. OTA is wrapped in a camp mat inside there for extra protection. Means one trip to ge

Corner of the room by the garden door vertically for a quick grab and go.

I keep mine in the corner of the office so that I can admire it all day and I keep the binoculars by the

French doors.

I can't move the telescope though as its too heavy so I can only use it when my son carries it out into the garden for me. Therefore the binoculars get used more!

If you can't move your scope alone, Sally, the next best thing is an obsy. Good excuse to have one. ;)

Edited by FarSide

I've got mine "semi permanently" set up on the patio. It's covered with a big barbecue cover. I did give it a good "slushing" with a silcone grease soaked cloth. Don't know if this is a good idea, but it's a bit of a performance setting it up, and with opportunities being very limited lately, I don't want to waste any time.

Eventually I'll have some sort of shed/obsy (that's the plan anyway).

(I still haven't had a chance to get the cover off under a clear sky, it's probably covered with slugs and spiders :Envy: )

Jason

for the first few months i used to pack the ota back in its box and all was stored in the shed.i've since got another shed so the origional shed is now the scope shed so i leave the whole kit set up under a dust cover. at least i can look/play with it when the weather doesn't play ball.

Scott

I think the title says it all really, how do you store your scope? I just had to move my gear to another premesis recently and i'm getting most of my smaller scopes and other bits and bobs in flight cases but i'm keeping my 10" Newt standing up in the room because of it's size. How do you keep your scope? I'm looking for ideas for better storage!

Mike

Stored in wooden crates.

I keep my SkyWatcher 130M in a golf travel holdall. The wheely type designed to hold a golf club bag full of clubs. OTA is wrapped in a camp mat inside there for extra protection. Means one trip to get scope and mount out and also handy for loading across back seat of car. You can wheel it too as long as you don't bump it down steps.

£30 from one of those discount golf warehouse places - led to an interesting conversation.

"taking your clubs on holiday mate?"

"no, it's not for my clubs"

"oh!" *funny look*

"no it's not for a body or anything. It's for my telescope"

"oh! Ok". *funnier look*

• Like 3

Nice one @Hanuman, I have one of those bags sitting around not doing anything - perfect for keeping dust and spiders out of the OTA whilst in the garage!

It may take the scope, mount and tripod fully assembled (just not extended!)

Cheers

Keep all my stuff in the Living room as I've got to choice living in an upstairs flat. I do have a garden & a shed but I really don't fancy leaving all my kit in there. :rolleyes:

IMG_2940.jpg

At the moment i'm putting my 250px onto my old dob mount as sort of a 'storage station/repair station. Then when it's in use i place it on the EQ6. Seems like a better idea than it being on the floor!

I keep my OTA and accessories in a toolbox wrapped in bubblewrap. It has handy compartments for filters and small EP's too.

Everything else goes into cricket bag. Tripod and mount are also wrapped in bubblewrap.

If I'm doing a few observing nights I often leave it assembled in the spare room for quick setup. Yes it means working with cool down and condensation but I prefer that to leaving outside in the garage. I also have dessicant packs in the EP compartment. (thinking about attaching one to back of lens cap but worried about it brushing against optics coatings.

I keep my kit in the fourth reception room in the lower east wing. From there its only a short distance out onto the lawns. Unfortunately the servants quarters overlook this side of the house so I always make sure that they turn their lights off.

• Like 4

I keep my kit in the fourth reception room in the lower east wing. From there its only a short distance out onto the lawns. Unfortunately the servants quarters overlook this side of the house so I always make sure that they turn their lights off.

Excellent choice.

Presumably the lawns are on the south side of the East wing to ensure best view in that direction.

Also the servants are readily available to carry the kit and provide refreshments at intervals.

Presumably the lawns are on the south side of the East wing to ensure best view in that direction.

Indeed.

Also the servants are readily available to carry the kit and provide refreshments at intervals.

A most important aspect of maintaining proper decorum within a household is for employees to attend their duties with the utmost dedication and loyalty. They are most highly trained in the art of Jaffa distribution.

• 2 weeks later...

mine lives in my shed/man cave, just open door carry out tripod and mount first then attach the OTA on its dovetail.one telescope setup DONE,in gordon ramsay language :rolleyes: .i have 3 markers on lawn so tripod sits in exact spot every time

I'm started to build a 'astronomy room' now. The only problem is it won't be ambient temp, but if i keep it cold in there that should help (except in the summer). I'm also hoping to have all my power in there too; PSU etc.

I'm started to build a 'astronomy room' now. The only problem is it won't be ambient temp, but if i keep it cold in there that should help (except in the summer). I'm also hoping to have all my power in there too; PSU etc.

Unless the astronomy room is right next to a door leading outside, the stuff may well warm up by carrying it through the house. I'd also consider that any cold room indoors if it's cooled will make heating bills higher, as you will have to heat the rest of the house to compensate.

I'd suggest if possible to keep it in the garden (largest scope only), and make a waterproof cover for it and perhaps something for it to stand on, so it won't ever be underwater in rain. Then it would always be at ambient temperature, and as long as it was covered, the optics shouldn't get damaged (I'd recommend a pure white cover, so it doesn't warm much in the Sun :)). Something to think about,

HTH.