Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mizar-A, Mizar-B, Alcor....

The first image Mizar-A and Alcor, Mizar has a double refraction, this turned out to caused by Mizar-B not seen this mentioned in forum threads so the second image is a 1100D hanging on the end of a Pentax XW 5mm via the 43mm Adapter ring....

Mizar-alcor.jpg

Mizar-A, Mizar-B

mizar-a-b.jpg

I really like that first photo - I think you can just see a 'bump' on Mizar A (at 10 o'clock) which I presume to be Mizar B?

If that's the case why is B at 4 o'clock on the second photo?

I must be misinterpreting the photos but how?

I really like that first photo - I think you can just see a 'bump' on Mizar A (at 10 o'clock) which I presume to be Mizar B?

If that's the case why is B at 4 o'clock on the second photo?

I must be misinterpreting the photos but how?

Now that is interesting, there were taken 2 days apart but i doubt that's the reason, i set Stellarium up for the first image date and its about how it would be, so i can only think i reversed the image in photoshop so its how our eyes would see it and not how the camara would image it, the 2nd image Mizar-A & B i didn't i think that's how the camera took the image and that's how its displayed, something to get right in the future i'm thinking, thanks for the input....

Nice pictures.

The Mizar/Alcor system was the first thing I ever looked at through a scope, and I still regularly enjoy looking at it.

I managed to split them in my binos just recently, and they fabulous in any scope.

Stu

For me it has interest when viewed naked eye as a double, through binos where I can just about split Mizar, and then at higher power through a scope where it is an easy split. The fact that all three are apparently spectroscopic doubles aswell make it a wonderful six star system that is always on show.

Very simple but it always has been something I love looking at every time I observe.

Stu

This was my first double a few years back when I got my first scope. It was one of the few stars I could actually identify. It was also one of the few that I could get a good view of from my back garden. Unfortunately, light pollution from my back garden streetlight ruined my viewing and I sort of lost interest and sold the scope. Sigh !!

Aha! Now I know what the double actually means! I didn't realise they were THAT close together. When it was suggested to me the other day to look for them in the plough handle, I looked through at Mizar and then saw another star near to it and thought that was what it was.

But now I know I was wrong and that they are incredibly close.

Thank you for sharing.

Archived