Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First successful light - QHY8 - M15, M27, M31

SteveL

Finally got out of the "DSLR" mindset of worrying about hot pixels, and went the whole hog on long exposures with my QHY8 last night. All went well, other than me kicking the USB cable during one of the M27 subs which caused PHD to go nuts, and wondering why my 4x4 binning repeat focus was creating trails (looked down, saw one of my cats rubbing themselves against the tripod in an attempt to catch my attention).

Right, first up...

All images taken with:

Camera: QHY8

OTA: NexStar 8 GPS @ f/10 (2000mm)

Guiding: PHD + DSI-C + WO66 piggyback

Imaging: MaximDL

Stacked: DSS

Tweaked: PSCS2 + Noels Tools

M15

10 x 300 seconds (Gain 20, Offset 120)

(Ignore the stray line across the top of the image)

m15_20070907.jpg

M27

7 x 900 seconds (Gain 20, Offset 120) - lost one sub to the kicked USB incident :wink:

Note: I think this one may be approaching the "over processed" limit

m27_20070907_001.jpg

M31

12 x 300 Seconds (Gain 20, Offset 130)

(Ignore the stray line across the top of the image)

Note: This one was imaged with the WO66, while the NS8GPS was guiding

This one REALLY IS over processed, I know that... it turned noisey, but I`m so tired that I have no energy to go back and start again

m31_20070907_001.jpg

Excellent images, Steve, especially the M15. I am very interested to see how this camera develops as it has a great specification for the money and has great appeal to me as a wide field instrument. Keep on posting your images 'cos I for one love 'em!

Well Steve, I like what you are doing with that camera. The glob. is A1 at Lloyd's for me, but you know yourself you over cooked 27 and 31,

but they are still splendid.

I think you should seriously think about setting yourself up in an Observatory. Don't know what room you have in your garden, but if it was possible, I think it would put the icing on the cake for you, and you really would put the frighteners on old Rog :wink:

I guess the images from your camera may well boost the sales of it.

Ron. :D

I think you should seriously think about setting yourself up in an Observatory. Don't know what room you have in your garden, but if it was possible, I think it would put the icing on the cake for you, and you really would put the frighteners on old Rog :wink:

I`ve already had the "no, no, never, not in my lifetime" talk from the wife when she saw a pic of a dome in the back of PA. Maybe a roll-off roof verson would be slightly more acceptable to her, but I wouldnt put money on that :D

I`ve already had the "no, no, never, not in my lifetime" talk from the wife when she saw a pic of a dome in the back of PA. Maybe a roll-off roof verson would be slightly more acceptable to her, but I wouldnt put money on that :lol:

Yep, I understand your good lady's reluctance, but mine was always adamant too, that my dome had to go, and it did eventually.

Now I have just taken delivery of a roll off roof job. It is only 7 x 6, but more than adequate. She is quite happy with it, and she is out there now painting it with Garden Shades Green Spruce paint, to match the fencing. She is also having fun planning the flower tubs and containers that are going to surround it. I will post a pic when it is finished Steve, you never know, it might help to persuade her it won't be an eyesore.

Ron. :D

Hi. Steve, I posted this image early to show the basic thing. Ignore the frame at the back, that is a temporary support for the roof in its retracted position. The final pillars will be 4"., and the rails will be 4"x 3". It got painted as soon as the installers left my garden, as I feared the rains were coming. There is still a bit to do, I will line the interior with 6mm MDF, and paint it a colour yet to be decided.

Electrics are to be installed, and waste pipe to run under the floor from the pier to the desk where the laptop will be.

A power point will be attached to the pillar for supplying reduced DC to the scope and cameras.

The window need framing with white trim, as does the roof trim. All this is to appease the wife, so if it finishes up looking like a dolls house, there will be little or no flak. It is much better to take the appeasement route, rather than risk on going sniping, which angers me enormously.

Anyway, I have been fortunate, and credit where it is due, she did help a lot with the painting.

There is a pic. of the inch thick walled pipe that will constitute the support pier for the Meade Wedge. It will go down into a 3ft deep hole and cased in concrete. I will build a surround of bricks up to just below floor level, and fill that with concrete too. When it has cured, I will then fill the remainder of the pillar with concrete, which will also encase the pipework for the cables, and conduit for the power supply. Then I can istall the flooring, which at my request, they supplied seperately.

So, still a bit of work to do, but I am looking forward to it. I am getting nearer my goal now.

Once it is all trimmed, and a few plants around it for her ladyship. Then we are ready for lift off.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived