AAAARRGGHHH!!!! Disaster!!!

Well, it could be much worse I suppose, but here's what happened.

I took out my CG5 this afternoon to check out a new afocal camera mount.

I extended the legs out all the way, popped the head on top and tightened the altitude knobs. Oh, no - wait. I want the mount over there. I picked up the tripod and put it back on the ground in the right place. The mount head tipped off the tripod and came to a crunch on the concrete :shock: OUCH!

The tube rings for my refractor were attached to the head. They're great, the supplied tube rings. They've got a dovetail fitted, they're fixed together and you can keep them attached to the mount and they swing open when you want to put in the OTA.

Well, the height from which it fell and the weight of the head on top of them split the things in two - a goner. :wink:

Luckily nothing else was harmed. The mount had a little knock and a scratch, but I'm sure it's okay. The original tube rings may not be quick and easy to replace.

Lesson: secure everything PROPERLY when shifting it about. Two little knobs are not going to hold a heavy mount.

an unhappy

Andrew :D

Archived