SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light - ATiK 16HR

peonic

My Atik finally arrived from Holland yesterday morning, so after a couple of hours under nice clear skies helping Prasad get setup, I was itching to get home and have a play. It was also first light for my new Astronomik CLS filter, and my first attempt at image aquisition / alligning / stacking in Maxim.

I was a bit concern about the ease of use of both the Atik and Maxim - but found them both really intuitive to use - and I have to say, even after just one night, I much prefer the workflow of using a CCD to that of the DSLR. In hindsight, all of my targets could have used more exposure, and I'm really looking forward to the Astronomik L/R/G/B and Ha filters turning up.

First target of the night was part of NGC7000:

Skywatcher 250PX

Atik 16HR

Astronomik CLS

Guided with PHD

10x300s

5x360's

Processed in Maxim and Photoshop - Noel C's "B&W to HA False Colour" action used to "red-ify" the image.

1256_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Looking at it, I think that with the CLS filter, I should have been aiming to go to at least 10 minutes with the subs on this one.

Next up was M1 "The Crab Nebula" - same setup as before but just 10x180s subs this time:

1258_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

and the false colour Ha version using Noel's Actions:

1257_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Think I might have overdone the processing on this one - especially the unsharpening. Still - was a great night out, and I'm already itching for the next clear night to have some more time with the camera. Longer subs, and better processing next time! :wink:

As usual, criticism and pointers gratefully accpted!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

These images look really promising.

Will 1.25" filters be big enough to avoid vignetting?

I have been looking for a CCD camera with a larger format than my present SXVM7. Everything looks soooo..

expensive. The Atik looks a good buy. A bigger format would probably need 2" filters. I will keep an eye on how you get on :wink:

John

Will 1.25" filters be big enough to avoid vignetting?

I REALLY hope so, I'm not made of money!!

:wink:

Chris

I think it will as well. I believe its only about 11mm across the diagonal. ( just checked on the Sony chip info site)

John

Wow Chris, you didn't 'hang aboout' did you :wink:

Given that it was your first go with a completely new piece of kit, you have done remakably well. I bet you're feeling really 'chuffed' with those results, and so you should be!!.

Only one negative comment, and that is the 'false colour' from 'Noel's Actions' is totally wrong for M1, and your original mono, is far better.

Dave

Yeah!, nice going Chris. For first time out with your new camera you have done remarkably well, and you have set off on a journey that will see you excel at this imaging business.

The new filters will make a differnce too.

Ron. :wink:

Archived