Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Nightfly

Sharpless 2-27 with Iridium Flare

Sharpless 2-27 is very large nebula centered around Zeta Ophiuchi. Very difficult to photograph due to its size and brightness, it is over twenty Moon diameters wide and very faint. Film and detectors well equipped for Hydrogen-Alpha (Ha) imaging reveal it best. I consider it one of the greatest objects in the Milky Way.

Sh2-27.jpg

Located on the Milky Way's border in Southern Ophiuchus and partially overlapping into northern Scorpius.

Pentax 67 with SMC 200MM F/4 @ F/5.6 60 minutes expose on Kodak E200 transparency film.

Edited by Nightfly
  • Like 2

Lovey Jim,

If you don;t mind me asking how do you the dofference betweem\n a bright meteor and an Irridium flare? I got a bright meteor I presume in a pic as I was working during the perseids last week. I'llpost it in a minute.

T.

Lovey Jim,

If you don;t mind me asking how do you the dofference betweem\n a bright meteor and an Irridium flare? I got a bright meteor I presume in a pic as I was working during the perseids last week. I'llpost it in a minute.

T.

Hi Tom. Notice how the flare starts, dim and then gradually brighter and then gradually dim again. Also, the flare is oriented due east - west exactly. Almost all my images are oriented north-south vertically oriented to within a degree. And if that doesn't convince you, I have another image taken the following night within the same hour that shows this same satellite flaring in the almost exact same location!

I'll check out your image.

Thats just an amazing picture! Still can't believe that was done on film. Very nicely done!

Another lovely image :) Oh for some clear nights!! Lots of kit ready to go but nothing capable of seeing through clouds or fog!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.