SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sharpless 2-27 with Iridium Flare

Nightfly

Sharpless 2-27 is very large nebula centered around Zeta Ophiuchi. Very difficult to photograph due to its size and brightness, it is over twenty Moon diameters wide and very faint. Film and detectors well equipped for Hydrogen-Alpha (Ha) imaging reveal it best. I consider it one of the greatest objects in the Milky Way.

Sh2-27.jpg

Located on the Milky Way's border in Southern Ophiuchus and partially overlapping into northern Scorpius.

Pentax 67 with SMC 200MM F/4 @ F/5.6 60 minutes expose on Kodak E200 transparency film.

Lovey Jim,

If you don;t mind me asking how do you the dofference betweem\n a bright meteor and an Irridium flare? I got a bright meteor I presume in a pic as I was working during the perseids last week. I'llpost it in a minute.

T.

Lovey Jim,

If you don;t mind me asking how do you the dofference betweem\n a bright meteor and an Irridium flare? I got a bright meteor I presume in a pic as I was working during the perseids last week. I'llpost it in a minute.

T.

Hi Tom. Notice how the flare starts, dim and then gradually brighter and then gradually dim again. Also, the flare is oriented due east - west exactly. Almost all my images are oriented north-south vertically oriented to within a degree. And if that doesn't convince you, I have another image taken the following night within the same hour that shows this same satellite flaring in the almost exact same location!

I'll check out your image.

Archived