SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice on Nikon D3200 & D5100 required.

Oat

Hi All

I'm stuck as to which model to buy and wondered what guidance other Nikon users be able to give.

Most of my photography will not be astrophotography, except for shooting star trails using bulb mode. Otherwise it will be used for a mixture of fast motorsports, landscapes, wildlife, and generally coming with me where i think there will be photo opportunities. Primary use photography, rarer use for video.

I thought i had decided on the D5100, as it seems to tick most boxes. However i am unsure of the tilt / fold out LCD. I am concerned that it could be more hinderance and maybe the hinges get damaged / worn. Also the fold out LCD means that no setting buttons are located on the left side - this could mean that such settings are more fiddly to adjust by scrolling through various on screen options?

As it doesn't have the fold out screen the D3200 seems a good bet? But 24mp could well show image noise that the D5100 wouldn't.

I decided against D3100 very early on as it doesn't have external mic jack, and some other shortfalls just because it's becoming dated technology now.

I should comment that this will be my first DSLR but that i intend to go on attend a local 3 week course so as to help get the best out of it.

Your recommendations / comments appreciated.

Cheers

Oat

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Nebular,  I to is also looking at the Nikon D3200  for all aspects of photography, most of the reviews seems to rate this camera, Pixels, weight, low light photos, new DX Format image sensor, Exspeed 3  image processor... this is a pretty awesome camera for the price, but it is just down to personal choice in what you like and most importantly what you can afford. Hopefully this is in my Christmas stocking.

I'm by no means an expert in AP but from what I gather, the D5100 is the better choice.   It has the Sony IMX071 sensor which is highly rated.   I also seem to recall that the 5100 is controllable with remote control software, like DSLR Shutter.   About the only thing missing on the 5100 is MUP or mirror lock up.   I have the bigger brother to the 5100, the D7000 and it has everything you need.   You should avoid the newer D7100 that has the Toshiba sensor.... there are plenty of reports of AMP blooming with it.

Hi All

I'm stuck as to which model to buy and wondered what guidance other Nikon users be able to give.

Most of my photography will not be astrophotography, except for shooting star trails using bulb mode. Otherwise it will be used for a mixture of fast motorsports, landscapes, wildlife, and generally coming with me where i think there will be photo opportunities. Primary use photography, rarer use for video.

I thought i had decided on the D5100, as it seems to tick most boxes. However i am unsure of the tilt / fold out LCD. I am concerned that it could be more hinderance and maybe the hinges get damaged / worn. Also the fold out LCD means that no setting buttons are located on the left side - this could mean that such settings are more fiddly to adjust by scrolling through various on screen options?

As it doesn't have the fold out screen the D3200 seems a good bet? But 24mp could well show image noise that the D5100 wouldn't.

I decided against D3100 very early on as it doesn't have external mic jack, and some other shortfalls just because it's becoming dated technology now.

I should comment that this will be my first DSLR but that i intend to go on attend a local 3 week course so as to help get the best out of it.

Your recommendations / comments appreciated.

Cheers

Oat

The D5100 screen I think was updated to side operation, as the bottom hinged version, like my D5000 can be impeded once tripod mounted. But the angled screen has proven its worth to me many times over. Also at present, my T-Ring , T-Adaptor, or both, are too short, so I need an extender. At present I cannot get full focus, as I manually have to withdraw the camera from the focuser. My intentions will be too try some Aviation photography. 

The D5100 screen I think was updated to side operation, as the bottom hinged version, like my D5000 can be impeded once tripod mounted. But the angled screen has proven its worth to me many times over. Also at present, my T-Ring , T-Adaptor, or both, are too short, so I need an extender. At present I cannot get full focus, as I manually have to withdraw the camera from the focuser. My intentions will be too try some Aviation photography. 

Hi Oat, Yes you are right about the image noise as there have been a few remarks about this but also on the downside there have also been negativities about the tilt & fold out LCD screen how it can be a bit fiddly diddly but I suppose it all depends aswell on how big your fingers are these small finicky buttons!  Clear skies

Interesting topic as I've just bought a Nikon D5100.  I already have a Canon 1000D which was my 'astro camera' but I may try out the 5100.   Would be great to hear your comments about using the D5100.

Cheers

Pete

The D5100 has the Sony IMX071 sensor, which is VERY good!   The D5100 can be tethered and remotely controlled using DSLR Shutter, for example.   That Sony sensor is the same one in the D7000 and if you look at Anna Morris' latest image of M42, you'll see why you should be excited about he prospect of using your D5100 for AP.   Link to Anna's recent M42 image.... http://www.astrobin.com/full/66918/0/

I use a D5100. Have a look on my Website or Blog below at some of my images.

They speak for themselves.

Fantastic pics Dave, is your D5100 modified in any way or still standard? I was toying with getting a canon just for the fact it is better supported but after flicking through your images I am more keen on sticking with my D5100. Shall have to bookmark your website so I can get some tips!

Could some 1 help me I've bought a d3200 an a TRing 2 connect 2 my scope butt the camera went Work connected 2 it? 8(

I dont know anything about Nikon cameras but i suspect there might be a shoot without lens option in the menu or have you made sure you are in manual mode.

Could some 1 help me I've bought a d3200 an a TRing 2 connect 2 my scope butt the camera went Work connected 2 it? 8(

As Alien 13 says, the camera will work without the lens if it is set to Manual mode.

.................. Also at present, my T-Ring , T-Adaptor, or both, are too short, so I need an extender. At present I cannot get full focus, as I manually have to withdraw the camera from the focuser. My intentions will be too try some Aviation photography. 

..........I have  inserted the 2" adaptor plus my 2 -1.25" adaptor and I can  now focus on trees over 5 miles away, so I'm getting there. I've also had several days of just lousy overcast skies, so further testing is difficult at present?

Edit* The tilt viewfinder is not affected by the mount, so either the bottom or side tilt  viewfinders should work ok .

Archived