Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium - Custom Astrophotography Textures for Framing/Mosaicing

badgers

I love Stellarium and use it for lots of things.

Currently I use on-the-fly astrometry to get it to show me exactly where my CCD is pointing in the sky and use the oculars plugin for seeing what my sensor will cover.

Biggest problem I had was for the huge array of nebulae and objects which don't have textures in Stellarium making this approach much less useful.

I've managed to put together a software system that will take any astrophoto, tile it into segments, solve the segments and build Stellarium compatible textures.

Here's a few examples, (Red Box shows CCD Sensor Coverage).

Veil Nebula (Entire Complex)

med_gallery_19171_1868_428601.jpg

Elephant Trunk Nebula

med_gallery_19171_1868_484076.jpg

IC443 Jellyfish Nebula

med_gallery_19171_1868_227060.jpg

Now that I have the tools, I've done custom textures from the following using HST data and some of my own imagery:

M16 - Eagle Nebula,

IC1396 - Elephant Trunk,

IC443 - Jellyfish Nebula,

Veil Complex

North American Nebula

I'd like to package this up into a set of downloadable textures for hardcore astro-imagers.

Images will be either Donated (with copyright info on image) or from public sources such as the HST data (with credits on the images).

Are there any targets you'd love to see in Stellarium ?

Please tell me and I'll make them available as best I can.

These could be already in Stellarium but with poor images, or objects completely missing stellarium textures.

This has already proved really useful for my recent attempts on IC1396 and hopefully might be useful to others for setting up frames and performing mosaics.

Thanks,

Anton

I've now received permission from Bob Franke (Focal Pointe Observatory) to use his images (credited) for this project.

I'll upload a zip of texture files for Stellarium when I've processed the images.

• 6 years later...
On 16/08/2012 at 15:07, badgers said:

I've now received permission from Bob Franke (Focal Pointe Observatory) to use his images (credited) for this project.

I'll upload a zip of texture files for Stellarium when I've processed the images.

I know this is a super old post, but any chance you'd be willing to share your script? I'd love to be able to put my own images into stellarium

Archived